Hood Hinges update

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
I'll jump the light...get it... melloelky car is yellow, like a caution light. Sheesh, I'll see myself out lol.

Mike, the upper strut mount is a separate bracket from a regal/GN that mounts a couple inches further in stock form. In the pics I just posted.....I took that bracket and aligned it, then had my brother n law weld them together then ground smooth. Makes them look like 1 piece hinges.
Well, theres a little issue with that idea. I dont weld. I know a couple of guys that do but to be honest I dont want to be a pain in the butt and hit them up for favors. Back when I was still working I worked in a building that had master welders and a machine shop. Guys were always making crap and getting things done. Long gone now.
The bracket melloelky used is a bolt in from the looks of it and I think it looks fine.
Now if you want to come up to NY with your brother in law and make this for me I'll be happy to have the help ! LOL

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
Well, theres a little issue with that idea. I dont weld. I know a couple of guys that do but to be honest I dont want to be a pain in the butt and hit them up for favors. Back when I was still working I worked in a building that had master welders and a machine shop. Guys were always making crap and getting things done. Long gone now.
The bracket melloelky used is a bolt in from the looks of it and I think it looks fine.
Now if you want to come up to NY with your brother in law and make this for me I'll be happy to have the help ! LOL

One question, where did you get the bracket that mounted to the hood for the shock ? Is that from a Regal or did you make that ? From the pictures Ive seen online it looks like the bolts are further apart on the Regal or is that just the way it looks ?
the hinge itself is stock no mods other than removing the spring portion.
one stud that threads into the fender and one that nuts/bolts to the upper hinge portion.you need 4 ball studs total.i believe the fender thread is 8mm-1.25.
0905151345.jpg

• Winner
Reactions: 4 users

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
the hinge itself is stock no mods other than removing the spring portion.
one stud that threads into the fender and one that nuts/bolts to the upper hinge portion.you need 4 ball studs total.i believe the fender thread is 8mm-1.25.
View attachment 188216
Do you have any idea of the year Regal ? I think the hinges Im lookine at are from an 85 or 86. I thought that bracket mounted to the hood but now Im not sure. Im going there tomorrow AM.

Reactions: 1 user

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
Do you have any idea of the year Regal ? I think the hinges Im lookine at are from an 85 or 86. I thought that bracket mounted to the hood but now Im not sure. Im going there tomorrow AM.
I'm sorry I'm not familiar with regal hinges.mine are el camino

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Well, there's a little issue with that idea. I don't weld.
It's never too late to learn, honestly I can't imagine being in this hobby and not being able to weld when fabricating stuff, I think I go into withdrawals if I don't weld something every so often.

• Agree
Reactions: 4 users

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
So if the hinges are from the El Camino what it the bracket that the upper end of the shock attaches to from ? Hand made ?
nope that's part of the hinge.its riveted on to that arm that holds the spring assist

Reactions: 2 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
It's never too late to learn, honestly I can't imagine being in this hobby and not being able to weld when fabricating stuff, I think I go into withdrawals if I don't weld something every so often.
You’re describing how I’m beginning to feel about not owning a tig. I’ve got about 6 projects I need completed that consist of glueing aluminum together, but they all get delayed because of the lack of a tig under my roof ;-/

Reactions: 2 users

scoti

Royal Smart Person
Sep 5, 2019
Texas
So if the hinges are from the El Camino what it the bracket that the upper end of the shock attaches to from ? Hand made ?

nope that's part of the hinge.its riveted on to that arm that holds the spring assist
The OE set-up is used but w/o the spiral wound hood spring is how i understand it. The spiral wound spring is removed & in it's place is a gas strut.
*EDIT* (with the appropriate gas strut anchor pins for each end)

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor