Hood Hinges update

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
The OE set-up is used but w/o the spiral wound hood spring is how i understand it. The spiral wound spring is removed & in it's place is a gas strut.
*EDIT* (with the appropriate gas strut anchor pins for each end)
Picked up a set of them today at the local yard for $10. Figured it would be a better idea instead of cutting up my originals. Now that I understand what I need to use I'll drill out the rivets tomorrow and get them in the blast cabinet.
My plan was to get the hood back on over the weekend but my wife had a little "mishap" in the house while I was at the yard this morning. She tripped going down the basement stairs and put a small hairline fracture in her right femur. She was VERY lucky she didnt break her neck. Needless to say shes going to need a little help around the house for a while.

• Wow
Reactions: 5 users

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
this car stuff can always wait.glad it wasn't worse of a spill.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

86LK

Royal Smart Person
Jul 23, 2018
From the looks of it the 317 hinge worked in 10 different cars which would be a good thing. It will save some time figuring out where to mount the shock.
The AMD cowl hood doesnt fit right on my wagon. The edge of the scoop will hit the windshield. Maybe it was designed with coupes in mind. Kind of a pain in the neck. Should have caught it when it was being put on in the bodyshop.
My plan is to try a set of shocks. Another thing to figure out. LOL

Thanks for taking the time to look that up !!
haven't read thru all 5 pages of it, but if hitting the windshield is a problem (which it obviously is) why not convert to a front tilt hood? (not a front clip tilt)

Reactions: 1 user

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
haven't read thru all 5 pages of it, but if hitting the windshield is a problem (which it obviously is) why not convert to a front tilt hood? (not a front clip tilt)
Not something I would even consider for countless reasons. The main one is the cars 98% finished.

Reactions: 1 user

Maverick's_Monte

Greasemonkey
Sep 15, 2011
Rhode Island
If I am reading and understanding correctly, I can use my existing monte carlo hinges, sans springs, and in place use a gas strut? I do not weld, but I "got-a-guy" down the road from me who does amazing work, so if I need something welded up not a problem. Only thing I am missing is the shock, any recommendations for a fiberglass hood?

86LK

Royal Smart Person
Jul 23, 2018
Not something I would even consider for countless reasons. The main one is the cars 98% finished.
understandable. if you can't get the hinges to fit right, you can always go with this...

Reactions: 1 users

scoti

Royal Smart Person
Sep 5, 2019
Texas
understandable. if you can't get the hinges to fit right, you can always go with this...
Seems like tweaking the hood would be easier than going a completely different direction w/unknown additional headaches.

Reactions: 3 users

jlcustomz

G-Body Guru
Nov 22, 2011
I've had stock hinges with steel hood, fabbed shock mounts for fiberglass hood, flip forward buick hood mechanism, and several functional modifications to the current setup posted above that I first fabbed up in 2010.

Nothing is simpler than a hinge that simply pivots at one spot like the factory hinges. Tweaking one would have been a pre-teenage skill for me. Mods to convert to strut can be just bolt on. If you're skeered, stick to simple.

I haven't patented my current hood system & have explained it hundreds of times to people thinking about building such a thing. Have seen one kinda similar (slow as f***) on a black vette on Lokar car show, but never seen anything else remotely as complex. Anybody wanting to make their own is welcome to copy it and more than welcome to improve on it.. Always room for improvement.

Next will be my bedcover mechanism that 4 hinges will slide open in almost a straight up motion, going back enough to clear my rear visor, but not so far back as to look stupid. will need to be solid enough to drive on highway almost 3 feet up in the air on a level plane to allow small drift trike motorcycle ( or wife's stuff) to fit underneath. Was close to being initially done designing before having to work 2 jobs over 70 hrs a week lately. Hopefully can get back to soon next year,

Attachments

• 20210727_194210.jpg
    20210727_194210.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 80
  • 20211017_190253.jpg
    20211017_190253.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 86
  • 20211017_190229.jpg
    20211017_190229.jpg
    6.3 MB · Views: 80
  • 20211017_190116.jpg
    20211017_190116.jpg
    6.6 MB · Views: 85
Reactions: 1 users

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
Thanks for all the input folks. Not into any custom stuff. Just going with the gas shocks like mellelky used. Im sure I'll have to use a shorter shock due to the difference in the hood I have compared to the factory flat hood but it shouldnt be a big deal. I hope. LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor