hooking up a g-body

Status
Not open for further replies.

JESSE

Master Mechanic
Nov 21, 2007
GULFPORT,MS
hooked up

i went to the races last wensday night ...couldn't find anybody who wanted to go so i went by myself ....the last tracks i posted were at 18 psi instead of 20 like i thought so i raised the pressure to 24 and made some passes

this is what i came up with @ 24psi 1.68
the second pass the tower messed up so no time slip
i droped the pressure to 20psi and hit a 1.67
the first round of elimanations1.66
the second round 1.68
the thrid round1.67 and i lost to a 16.55 honda , i caught him and lifted ...i broke out with a 12.24@104mph.....
i didn't make any adjustments to the shocks.. waiting for some advice!!!
i really don't know what to do about tire pressure, you guys have seen my tracks and i'am with you on reading the dark outside streaks as to low, but why is there a streak in the middle? do you think i need to start higher?

i still had a blast racing and beating some trailer queens,with my12.30 street car :D .....i hope you guys had a good turkey day.....jesse

shotgun

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2007
Nort o Philly
"Knowing the weight/mph tells me you are actually doing pretty good for the HP level you have."

I posted that on page 1.

My opinion is you may getting close to maxed out based on H.P.

It takes X amount of power to move X amount of weight over a certain distance no matter what.

Go to this site and play with your numbers.

http://www.wallaceracing.com/Calculators.htm

I have found the "compute ideal mph..." calculator to be pretty accurate.

If you are not spinning worry about other things until traction becomes an issue again.

Launch, shift points, even temps before the run.

Reactions: 1 user

JESSE

Master Mechanic
Nov 21, 2007
GULFPORT,MS
hooked up

thanks for the link...shotgun i think i'll stop messing with it for awhile, and finnish all the other stuff so i can get done with it!!! i was thinking that maybe the pinion angle is off after moving the lower arms? i didn't check it.

as for the hp hitting it's limit, i think that your right!!!! i might hit it with some spray and see if it'll come out harder :shock: thanks for all the help.....jesse

79LT1Monte

Apprentice
Nov 25, 2007
Moscow Mills, Missouri
I wish our track stayed open as late as yours, you guys got me fired up and I don't get to race again until March :evil:

Great progress on your cars, I think I have decided on what rear sway bar to run I just don't know how it will work with the QA1 rear coil over kit, they both weld in the same spot. Anybody running the QA1 setup in the rear?

JESSE

Master Mechanic
Nov 21, 2007
GULFPORT,MS
hook up

do you drive your car on the street? what are you running? got any pics of your car and set up? hows that lt1 working for you? we have a few at the track thats doing real good....jesse

79LT1Monte

Apprentice
Nov 25, 2007
Moscow Mills, Missouri
It's not my daily but I drive it a lot, I drive it to the track and run the hell out of it and then drive it home. As far as the LT1 goes I am very happy with it, lots of power and as dependable as you could ask for. Last year the best I got out of her was 12.87 @ 105mph with a 1.84 60 foot. I plan on having a stall by next season so I should be able to improve on that. I went through a lot of traction issues when I first got the car together and the people on here really helped me. I am glad to see you are getting things ironed out with yours.

MontePic-1.jpg

shotgun

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2007
Nort o Philly
Jesse, you are in the sweet spot for N2O.

I would bet that a true 150 shot would have you running mid tens.

That assumes :wink: traction.

JESSE

Master Mechanic
Nov 21, 2007
GULFPORT,MS
hooked up

thats a real nice looking car...i bet you can sneak up on them easy, and they don't know what hit'em :D i love the looks of your exhaust coming out of the back..thats the way i had mine up until i installed the anti-roll bar, and had to cut them off :cry:
what rpm stall are you going to get?...i've got a b&m 3000 in mine and it does real good on the street....
i also drive mine to the strip and race hard and drive it home....and when some guys start talking smack it's the first thing i throw at them :D imo just because you can put a tag on your car doesn"t mean your a street car

at my track we have 4 classes on wednesday night racing,11.49 and quicker,11.50 and slower,trucks and then bikes...no matter what there always seems to be a race car running in my class..last week it was a 9.50 car dialing in a 11.50 and kicking everybodys *ss, that just doesn't seem fair to me !!! imo there low life scum bags that can't win any other way,
and it pisses me off....does this happen at your track?

JESSE

Master Mechanic
Nov 21, 2007
GULFPORT,MS
hooked up

shotgun,i was thinking of a 75hp shot on the line and start at 100 after third gear shift to try and save my trans a little while... with the traction i think your right about getting a better 60 with more power..i am willing to throw a little spray at it, but scared of burning a piston with to much...
something i did different last time out was to short shift it , the last two passes the other night i just shifted when, it felt right....it must have made a difference because on the last pass i dialed a 12.32 and lifted at a thousand foot line and went 12.24 a 104mph...can't wait to try it again :D

shotgun

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2007
Nort o Philly
A sound engine with proper fuel/timing should be good for 25HP per cylinder.

What were your 1/8 times on the run you lifted?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor