how can you chirp tires w/o shift kit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

1984-monte-carlo-ss

G-Body Guru
May 30, 2011
Long Island, New York
alright, ill prob end up doing that then, what could the "whine" be? i know th350's whine from the factory a little but its kind of a loud whine, could it be the planetary gear set?

1984-monte-carlo-ss

G-Body Guru
May 30, 2011
Long Island, New York
Intragration said:
Ok then, so what about more power?
ill prob just end up putting a 350 in it anyway lol but thats gonna be a while, was thinking about getting an intake and headers though since they can be swapped

Intragration

Master Mechanic
Feb 4, 2012
Chicago
Shift kits are generally considered to be a good thing for a transmission, firm shifts mean there's less slipping going on. With an older, high-mileage transmission, you could be asking for problems. It could accelerate the deterioration of parts that are already old and worn. But you're going to do that trying to make the tires chirp without the shift kit anyway, so it sounds like one way or another, you're going to find out how much life is left in your transmission. Thankfully TH350s aren't as expensive as 700R4s.

marcar1993

G-Body Guru
Aug 31, 2007
New Jersey
Um, just a quick thought. 210k miles? Stop abusing it. Rebuild the trans right, and redo the motor, then maybe it'll take abuse. At 210k miles, its tired and worn, abuse it and it will blow SOON.

86-blk442

G-Body Guru
Dec 2, 2008
West Seneca, New York
marcar1993 said:
Um, just a quick thought. 210k miles? Stop abusing it. Rebuild the trans right, and redo the motor, then maybe it'll take abuse. At 210k miles, its tired and worn, abuse it and it will blow SOON.

X2 the chirp doesn't mean anything. I have some good hp and tq under the hood of my 442 and mine doesn't chirp but that doesn't mean its slow.

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
How about just get a motor with some actual power 8)

khan0165

Royal Smart Person
Jul 14, 2008
Ontario, Canada
a factory transmission is meant for slow smooth cruising driving, which means it's aim is to give you soft smooth unnoticeable shifts, which means as you shift the clutches engage slowly, allowing a little slip for smooth shift transition.

however, when you start putting more power and rpms and harsh driving to this technique, you get more slip and wear on the clutches/bands. This is where shift kits come in...

Shift kits essentially give you quicker clutch engagement, meaning less slip, meaning firmer harder shifts, and less wear on transmission parts (not necessarily less wear on other driveline parts).

yes, a stock 305 can make a transmission chirp, depending how aggressive the shift kit is...

however, before you start hunting for rock hard tire chirping shifts, you need to consider the durability of the rest of your driveline. An old weezing 305 is not going to like that kinda abuse, and at 210k miles, you're already pushing the life of that trans.

You will want to upgrade other driveline components before trying to race-like hard shifts...

PS: solid transmission mount = broken tail shaft, or cracked housing.

Phoenyx

Royal Smart Person
Jun 27, 2007
Alberta, Canada
khan0165 said:
PS: solid transmission mount = broken tail shaft, or cracked housing.
x2

You could also try skinnier and harder tires.

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Remember if you get a shift kit, it has to be for the TH 350C. I am getting the big Trans Go kit when I get my TH350C. A good TH2004R is tough beat, when your trans goes. I got 400,000 km out of a TH250C. It shifted like and rubber and has no first now. When I get a trans built, it will be a TH2004R. Until the converter blew, it was a much better trans from launch through cruising on the highway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor