how do i make my rearend a full posi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
You will wonder why the rear tires are squeeling around turns and wearing out so fast. That is why the differential was invented.

MD13ailey

Master Mechanic
Aug 26, 2009
Columbia city, Oregob
i run a spool on the street. its not that bad. its just kind"ve annoying going around sharp turns slowly the inside tire churps a bit :)

FE3X CLONE

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 2, 2009
Ohio
How often do you drive it on the street? Everyday in any kind of weather including rain, snow, etc.?

Most people that tell me they have a spool in their street car, have a "street car" that they just drive to the drag strip on the weekends. And very slowly at that because it's really not a street car.

MD13ailey

Master Mechanic
Aug 26, 2009
Columbia city, Oregob
no mine is a real street i drive it everyday to work in the rain snow ect. amd to the track on the weekends :).

MD13ailey

Master Mechanic
Aug 26, 2009
Columbia city, Oregob
Yea its obviously going to wear down tires slightly faster. As far as racing, straight line is awsome. Going around turns is a little different but once you get used to it its no problem. Honeslty once these cars go slide ways they dont really do anything fast, do to a long wheel base so "drifting" isnt really that hard but I dont really have to many problems with that anyways.

MD13ailey

Master Mechanic
Aug 26, 2009
Columbia city, Oregob
Quite honestly if you can afford a locker or a posi unit it is the better choice. I was cheap and I got my spool for like $60. welding the rear end from my stand point is out of the question. applying heat to a hardened gear makes it soft, causing it to prematurely fail. and depending on were it fails at you might be buying a new quarter panel along with a new carrier and gear set up and maybe even a new housing. and i know people are gong to say they have done it and it works great. But will it for you??

MD13ailey

Master Mechanic
Aug 26, 2009
Columbia city, Oregob
i believe it is 26 spline. i got my spool new off ebay. quick performance has then for pretty cheap though

chicago2tacoma

Greasemonkey
Apr 25, 2010
Thanks 26 spline is what I thought 60 bucks new on ebay.......so how long you think till my axels snap.....what's the best choice for a new rearend?....ford 9" ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor