how do i make my rearend a full posi

Status
Not open for further replies.

84cutlassjuggalo

G-Body Guru
Jun 25, 2010
Morell PEI Canada
85montemj said:
Why would you buy a mini spool just for it to blow up? Whats the point of intentionally wasting money like that? If you're planing on it blowing up weld the damn thing. If you want to do an 8.5" then just wait til you have the money, or get it now if you have it. Or, go with pat's idea. Or, you could even just wait for a posi 7.5" from 85 or 86+ monte SS. It'll handle your 350. I wouldn't make a quick decision just because you want to spin both tires now.

i agree there is no point in wasting money just to have them both look nice. Sure 2 wheel burn is MUCH nicer then a one wheel peel but save you money and do it right. Take the time to do it right once instead of many quick fixes

1983ss454

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 12, 2010
Ludlow MA
bjohn07 said:
damn for 2400 i would have just built my own. with better parts and still would have been cheaper. and posi trac, lsd, locker are all the same. just different names due to manufactures and the patents they used. they all do the same. give power to both wheels under a load yet let one wheel spin a different speed for drivability and wear issues. if ur really interested in a posi check out ebay. i found a posi with 3.42 gears for less than 300. it is used of course but still better than paying 500 for a new carrier. i was gonna get it but im just gonna go check out some j/y

Really? Limited slip used clutch packs, true posi uses gears. Doesn't sound like different names to me, you should really know what your talking about before speaking. High torque engines destroy clutch pack rears, especially during racing

mkiiisupra

Master Mechanic
Dec 28, 2008
Versailles, KY
I actually used a clutch pack LSD in my Supra for drifiting purposes and it required a replacement of the clutch discs after about three events or roughly 15-20 runs. So they do wear out if you abuse the hell out of them as I was, whereas a gear unit, is a bit more robust. Seeming that my Supra had around 450 whp at medium boost levels and was a 3300 lb car, you would probably see similar results in a g-body under the same conditions with the same amount of power.

bjohn07

Master Mechanic
May 9, 2010
1983ss454 said:
bjohn07 said:
damn for 2400 i would have just built my own. with better parts and still would have been cheaper. and posi trac, lsd, locker are all the same. just different names due to manufactures and the patents they used. they all do the same. give power to both wheels under a load yet let one wheel spin a different speed for drivability and wear issues. if ur really interested in a posi check out ebay. i found a posi with 3.42 gears for less than 300. it is used of course but still better than paying 500 for a new carrier. i was gonna get it but im just gonna go check out some j/y

Really? Limited slip used clutch packs, true posi uses gears. Doesn't sound like different names to me, you should really know what your talking about before speaking. High torque engines destroy clutch pack rears, especially during racing
yes really lsd used clutch packs and gears. call any gear shop and ask em. u should know what ur talkin about before speakin. and yes high torque engine destroy clutch packs. thats why they make spools for racing. and call eaton and tell them u need a helical gear type lsd and they will sell u a true trac. which in your words is a true posi. like i said same thing.
and yes helical gear style lsd dont have wearable parts but they can break. ive seen a 500hp camaro launch at 4500 and bust the helical gears. but read this on eatons website about your trutrac and tell me it inst a lsd. http://www.eaton.com/EatonCom/ProductsS ... /index.htm and while your checkin out that link click on posi lsd.

87BlackSheep

Apprentice
Jul 1, 2010
Fort Knox, KY
I was thinking of getting an 8.5 (3.73 gears) rear for a 350 and 2004R transmission. how would I want to lock that up? Just about 400hp.

1983ss454

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 12, 2010
Ludlow MA
Really? Limited slip used clutch packs, true posi uses gears. Doesn't sound like different names to me, you should really know what your talking about before speaking. High torque engines destroy clutch pack rears, especially during racing[/quote]
yes really lsd used clutch packs and gears. call any gear shop and ask em. u should know what ur talkin about before speakin. and yes high torque engine destroy clutch packs. thats why they make spools for racing. and call eaton and tell them u need a helical gear type lsd and they will sell u a true trac. which in your words is a true posi. like i said same thing.
and yes helical gear style lsd dont have wearable parts but they can break. ive seen a 500hp camaro launch at 4500 and bust the helical gears. but read this on eatons website about your trutrac and tell me it inst a lsd. http://www.eaton.com/EatonCom/ProductsS ... /index.htm and while your checkin out that link click on posi lsd.[/quote]

I stand corrected, but you can't honestly tell me that the clutch pack limited slip that Chevy put out isn't a pile of sh*t. I destroyed one in less then a week in my car, which is why I bought the rear I have. . . What could you supposedly have built different about it that would be better? Its guaranteed to 850 HP..... there was no insult, I'm just tired of reading smart high schoolers/ college kids on here shooting their mouths off and have no clue what they are talking about

bjohn07

Master Mechanic
May 9, 2010
1983ss454 said:
and yes helical gear style lsd dont have wearable parts but they can break. ive seen a 500hp camaro launch at 4500 and bust the helical gears. but read this on eatons website about your trutrac and tell me it inst a lsd. http://www.eaton.com/EatonCom/ProductsS ... /index.htm and while your checkin out that link click on posi lsd.[/quote]

I stand corrected, but you can't honestly tell me that the clutch pack limited slip that Chevy put out isn't a pile of sh*t. I destroyed one in less then a week in my car, which is why I bought the rear I have. . . What could you supposedly have built different about it that would be better? Its guaranteed to 850 HP..... there was no insult, I'm just tired of reading smart high schoolers/ college kids on here shooting their mouths off and have no clue what they are talking about[/quote]
i actually think the stock posi unit is okay for a mild car. but me being a gear head im gonna put something stronger in as any gear head would. and as far as building a better rear. well, with doing all the fabrication, 35spline axles, and a spool is even with a rear disc setup is gonna be way cheaper and hold more power. even if u build it your self with say some 31 spline and the more expensive lsd unit. u can still hold over 750hp for less than 2k. but that is just me. i like fabing up stuff rather than paying a company to do it. but a 850hp rated diff is good. i was just saying i wouldnt pay 2400 for a rear end setup. didnt mean to insult you in any way.

1983ss454

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 12, 2010
Ludlow MA
The only difference would be a spool over the tru-trac. I hate spools and lockers on the street. With 650 torque with my muncie I like the idea of having a rear guaranteed in case it grenaded.... plus unfortunately I can't weld for sh*t

chicago2tacoma

Greasemonkey
Apr 25, 2010
ok what about shiming the gears?? Anybody know what this is....I asked my buddy if we could weld the gears and he sais we'll just shim em tight now everyything we've done so far has worked and been cool he seems to know his sh*t I jus never heard of this before......ima jus get da spool......old moter and trans is out and new engine and trans is being put in now...finally

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor