how do i make my rearend a full posi

Status
Not open for further replies.

85montemj

Greasemonkey
Nov 4, 2009
I thought shimming was just the process of getting everything lined up correctly, like shimming a fender to line it up with the rest of the body. If I'm correct that shouldn't make your reaend posi haha. I'll say the same thing as in my other post, DO NOT WELD YOUR GEARS! I know of too many people who've tried it. Let me illustrate :soapbox: . Everytime the tires chirp around a corner it vibrates everything, this will weaken the welds. If one weld fails and finds its way between the ring and pinion, it will lock everthing up. You better hope you're going fast enough that the diff basically explodes and lets you keep rolling, otherwise it'll lock the wheels up, sending you out of control. A mini spool is $80 bucks on jegs. Buy that or have a little patience until a posi rear comes along.

85montemj

Greasemonkey
Nov 4, 2009
I'm sorry i'm not attacking you, just making it clear the spool is a good choice.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
85montemj said:
I'll say the same thing as in my other post, DO NOT WELD YOUR GEARS! I know of too many people who've tried it. Let me illustrate :soapbox: . Everytime the tires chirp around a corner it vibrates everything, this will weaken the welds. If one weld fails and finds its way between the ring and pinion, it will lock everthing up. You better hope you're going fast enough that the diff basically explodes and lets you keep rolling, otherwise it'll lock the wheels up, sending you out of control. A mini spool is $80 bucks on jegs. Buy that or have a little patience until a posi rear comes along.

There are many circle track cars that have the spider gears welded due to the rules that no spools are permitted. If the gears are welded properly there is no problem running it that way. We ran a metric for years with the spider gears welded and we never had one rear end fail....You'll strip the splines off the axle before you ever grenade a rear end

bjohn07

Master Mechanic
May 9, 2010
pontiacgp said:
85montemj said:
I'll say the same thing as in my other post, DO NOT WELD YOUR GEARS! I know of too many people who've tried it. Let me illustrate :soapbox: . Everytime the tires chirp around a corner it vibrates everything, this will weaken the welds. If one weld fails and finds its way between the ring and pinion, it will lock everthing up. You better hope you're going fast enough that the diff basically explodes and lets you keep rolling, otherwise it'll lock the wheels up, sending you out of control. A mini spool is $80 bucks on jegs. Buy that or have a little patience until a posi rear comes along.

There are many circle track cars that have the spider gears welded due to the rules that no spools are permitted. If the gears are welded properly there is no problem running it that way. We ran a metric for years with the spider gears welded and we never had one rear end fail....You'll strip the splines off the axle before you ever grenade a rear end

yeah but most people dont know the correct way to weld the spider gears. ive seen it alot when people weld them to the carrier which is a big no no. i just picked up a minispool for my 7.5 for 60 bucks at the gear shop. and since he aint class racin might as well do a minispool so at least he wont have to worry about welds bustin and messing up bearings or even getting between the teeth on the ring and pinion.

MD13ailey

Master Mechanic
Aug 26, 2009
Columbia city, Oregob
circle track on dirt or assfault? I have never seen an assfault car with a welded rear end. As for dirt just about anything will hold up because you are never at full bite, the tires all always spinning which is less stressful than being on the road.

joe_padavano

Royal Smart Person
Sep 13, 2006
Northern VA
Coming into this thread late, but there is really some misinformation here. First, Positraction, Limited Slip, Anti-Spin, etc, etc are all simply marketing names, There is no fixed definition that one is clutches and one is gears. In fact, MANY, MANY clutch-style differentials were sold under all of these names, but they're still clutch-style differentials. Some use plate clutches, some use cone clutches, but the concept is the same. The helical gear differentials also have many names, but a couple of common ones are Detroit TruTrack and TorSen (torque sensing).

ct_126000.jpg

Note that the companies who actually make these gear differentials DO NOT call them "posi" or "limited slip" or any such names.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor