How To: Camaro Rear Disc Brake Swap to G-body Axle

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
Yes, simple 'L' brackets, but I need to make more sturdy ones. I have a few backing plate shims left over that you can try out or at least use as a pattern.

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
For the next step, mating the stock E-brake cables to the parking brake lever, recommend this approach:

Reactions: 1 user

abbey castro

Royal Smart Person
Oct 31, 2015
Harker Hts TX
The rubber boots for the e-brake are available from RockAuto. It is a kit with the rubber boot and the metal surrounding it. Cut the Camaro e-brake bracket as shown and bolted it under the spacer bumper. I had to make a tall spacer for the new style rubber bumper so the caliper would not hit the frame. It bottoms out perfectly. It is a perfect distance fit for the cable to reach and activate the e-brake pawl. Use LH/RH on each side. There is a bracket that must be bought/made to space out the shock, as it will not fit without hitting the caliper/ It will not fit. I bought mine on-line. As far as hooking up the e-cables I used to original adjustment bracket, and bolted it to the driver's inside seat belt bolt that protrudes by the drive shaft. Cut/spliced the front e-cable to the length required to activate the correct pull of both cables. Attaching kit fro the rear cables came from Speedway. Hope this adds some ideas for your project.

Attachments

• EBrake Brckt (6).jpg
    EBrake Brckt (6).jpg
    946.8 KB · Views: 343
  • BumpStop (2).jpg
    BumpStop (2).jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 349
  • BumpStop (1).jpg
    BumpStop (1).jpg
    85 KB · Views: 375
  • EBrake Brckt (3).jpg
    EBrake Brckt (3).jpg
    705 KB · Views: 355
  • 2002CamaroConversion (1).jpg
    2002CamaroConversion (1).jpg
    776.7 KB · Views: 365
  • IMG_20180809_172122856.jpg
    IMG_20180809_172122856.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 367
  • RearBrckt1.jpg
    RearBrckt1.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 348
  • 2002CamaroConversion (2).jpg
    2002CamaroConversion (2).jpg
    296.9 KB · Views: 364
  • Useful
Reactions: 1 users

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
I like your solutions and will probably implement them myself. I like the 'T' shock relocation brackets.

1588388811778.png

Yep, RA has the Dorman pieces. I previously had to find them on Amazon. And I'm glad I ordered two sets as they must have been old - two of the four tore as I stretched them over the levers. Hopefully these have more integrity.

Last edited:

Griffin84ss

Master Mechanic
Supporting Member
Apr 14, 2017
Corinth Ky
Following along this is a good write up. Thanks and keep it coming.

Built6spdMCSS

Geezer
Jun 15, 2012
Florida Beach
For the next step, mating the stock E-brake cables to the parking brake lever, recommend this approach:
This was my approach, been working perfectly since.

Reactions: 2 users

scoti

Royal Smart Person
Sep 5, 2019
Texas
Joining in to review the material when I have time to digest it all.

Reactions: 1 user

drb930

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 25, 2007
Los Angeles
After not having an e-brake for 6 months after my rear disc conversion because I couldnt find a solution I liked I did this-
Took the factory Camaro e-brake cable bracket and basically cut it in half and bolted that onto the lower control arms with the sway bar bolts.
Cut the factory G-Body END that the e-brake cable attaches to and welded that to the factory disc brake pawl.
The factory G-body cables clip into the factory Camaro brackets and clip into the pawl.
Looks factory and works factory including adjustment.

Attachments

• My-Ebrake Bracket Camaro .jpg
    My-Ebrake Bracket Camaro .jpg
    467.1 KB · Views: 184
  • My-Ebrake Bracket End.jpg
    My-Ebrake Bracket End.jpg
    440.1 KB · Views: 181
  • My-Ebrake Brackets Both.jpg
    My-Ebrake Brackets Both.jpg
    487.7 KB · Views: 202
Reactions: 1 users

Built6spdMCSS

Geezer
Jun 15, 2012
Florida Beach
The reason I popped in here is because one of the guys in my FB group messaged me for insight. I didn't have a detailed thread on my Rear Brakes because I had my QP Custom 9" Rear Housing made with Fbody End Caps so the Brake Backing Plates would bolt right on. And they did. Not to much to it when you request parts to be built for specific purpose.

I used LT1 Fbody Rear Brakes because they cleared a 15" Drag Wheel with no issue. This was installed Dec 2010.

LT1 REAR DISC.jpg

These were not direct fit, took some cutting on the angle bracket here

LT1 REAR BRAKE CALIPERS.JPG

They are fully bolted up there and fit. This Rear Housing was made 1" wider than stock Gbody width, so honestly I think that is the main reason I got them to work. I didn't ask for that, just how they made it.

LT1 REAR BRAKES ON.JPG

How the car currently sits, I painted the Rear Calipers red to match the Front C5Z06 Calipers.

SS SIDE.jpg

I never made a post of an install with these Brakes and how to do it since as mentioned above this is a one-off setup and it worked in my favor. The only thing that I did do was make sure I got the E-Brake to work, as mentioned above. Necessity in a manual car.

Reactions: 3 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor