How to change ignition switch?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mheath717

Master Mechanic
Nov 13, 2008
Florida
Well tomorrow I plan on changing out my ignition switch. I picked one up today for nine bucks, but I have been told its hard to install. What all do I have to do to change it out? I have heard that I have to drop the steering column, and could possibly mess a lot of stuff up. The problem I am having is that when I turn my key, my car won't start. It has been a problem for about the last six months. I drive the car everyday. It used to only do it every once in a while. It is starting to get more, and more common. I would turn the key, and nothing... Try it a couple more times, and then it would fire up. The other day, I had to turn the key like 20 times to get it to start up. Then it did fine for a few days, and now I am not starting at all. I don't really want to be stranded anywhere, so I wana get it swapped out.

Over the past weeks I have replaced the key cylinder, positive battery cable, negative cable, and the starter itself. Figured I would do the actual switch next.

So what do I have to do to swap it out?

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
you have to drop the steering column, then disconnect the wiring and on the other side there is a 8 mm bolt near the front and then there is another at the back to remove the high beam switch. When the switch is removed then there is a philips head countersunk screw to remove and that's it..

I think I have it right, I changed mine a few months ago....if you have a tilt steering the joint for the rod may be broken....

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
you shouldn't have to drop the column, not if the key works. pull the steering wheel, then turn the key. IIRC that exposes the bolt. remove that and the cylinder comes right out.

mheath717

Master Mechanic
Nov 13, 2008
Florida
megaladon6 said:
you shouldn't have to drop the column, not if the key works. pull the steering wheel, then turn the key. IIRC that exposes the bolt. remove that and the cylinder comes right out.

I don't need to change the cylinder... The actual column switch is what Im after here...

RockSS

Master Mechanic
Oct 24, 2010
Enfield Ct
pontiacgp said:
I think I have it right, I changed mine a few months ago....if you have a tilt steering the joint for the rod may be broken....
That sounds good yes check the rod goin to switch hate to see you go thru all the work and still have a prob.

mheath717

Master Mechanic
Nov 13, 2008
Florida
Well I do have tilt column so I will definately take a look at that rod. But do you think the ignition is even my problem? I just went out to my car and tapped on the switch a few times, and wiggled things around. Then after turning the key twice, it fired up. Its like it works when it wants to. Makes me thing its an electrical problem.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
the switch is easy to change and inexpensive so why not change it and then you know it's good....one thing I forgot to add is make sure the switch is adjusted properly. It has slots so it it can slide on it's mounting bolts so before you tighten it down make sure your key will operate the switch properly for start and auxiliary.

mheath717

Master Mechanic
Nov 13, 2008
Florida
So to drop the column all I do is take off that little plate under it? The one with a vent in the middle of it? I looked lasnyt in the dark but thats all I saw to be holding it up.

RockSS

Master Mechanic
Oct 24, 2010
Enfield Ct
Ok this might be way off but what about the neutral saftey switch ... just real quick the next time you turn the key and noting happends hold it and wiggle the column shroud I know the bushings in the rods comming up from transmission wear out mine did haven't changed them yet I just made a slight adj.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
yeas that panel has to come off, there is 4 fasteners, one in each corner. You don't have to do anything with the vent, that just stays attached to the panel and slides out of the hose. There is two 5/8 bolts that secure the column in place that you'll see with the panel removed.

*edit* rock made a good suggestion, he could be right

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor