Relay getting too hot!

Wraith

Royal Smart Person
Jan 13, 2013
DFW, TX
Slim chance but do you have a clamp on meter you can watch the amp draw when the relay pulls in? The inrush when a motor starts should be the highest amperage you see but settles down and depending on the motor draw can be up to 3 times the running amperage.

Reactions: 2 users

Baker7888

G-Body Guru
Dec 3, 2021
Maine
Slim chance but do you have a clamp on meter you can watch the amp draw when the relay pulls in? The inrush when a motor starts should be the highest amperage you see but settles down and depending on the motor draw can be up to 3 times the running amperage.
I do not but the only thing i was thinking is the relay is wired to accessory so comes on as soon as the key is forward. So maybe something to do when cranking over? I know the other one was staying hot with the car running though.

78Delta88

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
May 23, 2022
SW Arizona
Try with a good quality Fog Lamp relay 30A. The reason I say this is because it is designed to stay on. Some of the relays are not designed to carry the load and stay on for long term. And they will fail quickly. And use bigger wire. It's getting hot so you already know it's in an over load condition. If that's not enough you can also use the Ford starter relay from something like 1970 F150 or V8 Sedan, Thunderbird etc...

Wire through an OP switch. This way it will energize once oil pressure is at 5 - 7 psi or more, shuts down with engine off (no oil pressure).

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Baker7888

G-Body Guru
Dec 3, 2021
Maine
Try with a good quality Fog Lamp relay 30A. The reason I say this is because it is designed to stay on. Some of the relays are not designed to carry the load and stay on for long term. And they will fail quickly. And use bigger wire. It's getting hot so you already know it's in an over load condition. If that's not enough you can also use the Ford starter relay from something like 1970 F150 or V8 Sedan, Thunderbird etc...

Wire through an OP switch. This way it will energize once oil pressure is at 5 - 7 psi or more, shuts down with engine off (no oil pressure).
I have a 3 post OP switch for my EFP. Can i utilize the same switch for WP?

Baker7888

G-Body Guru
Dec 3, 2021
Maine
Hmm idk we went for a pretty healthy rip and its “warm” but definitely not hot …

78Delta88

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
May 23, 2022
SW Arizona
On the three wire OP switch, find the wire going to the FP and splice into that. You are only using it for a trigger wire so 18G to 14G is fine.

With engine running and OP closed +12 will be going to FP and trigger to your relay. Engine OFF that leg goes dead and likewise any thing spliced into it.

Baker7888

G-Body Guru
Dec 3, 2021
Maine
On the three wire OP switch, find the wire going to the FP and splice into that. You are only using it for a trigger wire so 18G to 14G is fine.

With engine running and OP closed +12 will be going to FP and trigger to your relay. Engine OFF that leg goes dead and likewise any thing spliced into it.
Ok let me just make sure i hear you clearly.
I am leaving all wiring intact except for the trigger wire. I will run trigger wire to oil pressure switch, the post that goes to fuel pump.

Baker7888

G-Body Guru
Dec 3, 2021
Maine

I am going to have to back chase some wiring first …. The pressure safety switch for FP is also closed during cranking. The “hot” wire is essentially a trigger for a relay i have mounted next to WP relay. Power
From FP comes from FP relay, not the pressure safety switch. So wiring WP to this switch, it will be powered during cranking.

78Delta88

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
May 23, 2022
SW Arizona
Typically when the OP closes, the wire going to the FP keeps the FP running until engine is off. When the engine is off there is no oil pressure and the OP switch opens and the wire going to the FP goes dead..., FP shuts off.

If yours goes to a relay that powers the FP that's fine. You just use the wire that energizes the relay. Splice into that and that signal can be used to energize the other relay.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor