Relay getting too hot!

Baker7888

G-Body Guru
Dec 3, 2021
Maine

1320chevy

Apprentice
Jun 23, 2023
Here's a solid state relay that should be able to dissipate heat a lot better than the standard relays.

Always use the largest gauge wire that is practical with any electrical install. Good connections are essential. Twisted and taped stuff or even poorly crimped items won't cut it. Remember too that your ground is only as good as how well grounded what you attached it to is. Not often but I have seen a perfect ground wire attached to a fender that was not properly grounded.
I'm not surprised that the relay gets warm. Probably more likely that it would be than not. It uses power to operate the electromagnet and that power use will create heat. Use a heat gun to compare it to other similar relays. Warm, ok, hot , not.
I'd be curious to see what if any actual hp savings there is by using an electric pump. Yes, pump draws power but don't you shift the draw to the alternator to power the e pump?

Baker7888

G-Body Guru
Dec 3, 2021
Maine
Always use the largest gauge wire that is practical with any electrical install. Good connections are essential. Twisted and taped stuff or even poorly crimped items won't cut it. Remember too that your ground is only as good as how well grounded what you attached it to is. Not often but I have seen a perfect ground wire attached to a fender that was not properly grounded.
I'm not surprised that the relay gets warm. Probably more likely that it would be than not. It uses power to operate the electromagnet and that power use will create heat. Use a heat gun to compare it to other similar relays. Warm, ok, hot , not.
I'd be curious to see what if any actual hp savings there is by using an electric pump. Yes, pump draws power but don't you shift the draw to the alternator to power the e pump?
Thanks for the thoughts. The wiring is definitely ideal. It does get warmer than the other relays but is also constantly running. I am not sure about hp savings but surely there are some. In LT1 the water pump was directly driven off the camshaft via a shaft that went through the timing cover and into the back of the WP housing. It was a cool design but also more seals to wear out. When I did a cam swap it was easier to make the conversion go electric pump.

Wageslave

Royal Smart Person
Jan 25, 2017
Wow they’re not giving those away…
What makes it solid state? I really need something with a mounting tab on it
All the business is on a little circuit board that is epoxied to the heat sink. No moving parts and a 40 or 45 amp load capacity, depending on part number.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor