Relay getting too hot!

Wraith

Royal Smart Person
Jan 13, 2013
DFW, TX
One that came with the relay
That could be a definite problem. A lot of the aftermarket relays have faulty crimps that can cause a major amp draw, loose wires and crimps are bad. Have dealt with a few MCC’s in my business lately that we are paying $200K plus for that have improperly torqued set screws that cause the same amp draw problems.

Reactions: 1 user

ELCAM

Royal Smart Person
Jun 19, 2021
Have to assume a bit here.

The first time you got resistance in the circuit, but after you removed the relay it was zero ohms? So I will assume you tested the relay the first time in the socket.

The connectors have an issue and the relay is fine. Replace the pigtails for the 87 and 30 pins something bad in the connectors or the way the connect to the wire..

The 85 and 86 pin circuit only draws a fraction of an amp so even if they marginal they wont cause a problem.

In the future pull the relay and ohm it, then replace it in the socket and ohm it again. This will show where the problem is.

Reactions: 1 user

Baker7888

G-Body Guru
Dec 3, 2021
Maine
Have to assume a bit here.

The first time you got resistance in the circuit, but after you removed the relay it was zero ohms? So I will assume you tested the relay the first time in the socket.
Yes this correct. First time plugged in and powered. Second time unplugged.

So bad plug?

ELCAM

Royal Smart Person
Jun 19, 2021
That's what I would be looking at, as mentioned above by Wraith check the crimp or look for the relay terminal being real loose in the wire terminal.

Baker7888

G-Body Guru
Dec 3, 2021
Maine
That's what I would be looking at, as mentioned above by Wraith check the crimp or look for the relay terminal being real loose in the wire terminal.
Thanks i will take a closer look.

86 Salon

Apprentice
Mar 14, 2021
The hot coming out of the water pump (from the factory) is matched in size and goes all the way to the relay.

The ground coming from the water pump (from the factory) is matched in size and goes to chassis ground.

The hot wire - FROM the battery - going TO the relay - is approx 12 gauge. This is the largest wire.

The relay also has a ground wire and a trigger wire which are probably 14 gauge.
What year LT1 has an electric water pump from the factory?

Baker7888

G-Body Guru
Dec 3, 2021
Maine
I replaced the relay. Also i ditched the plug and just used female spade ends, i closed them up a bit so they are a tight fit. I also beefed up the relay ground. I have only run the car briefly but is definitely getting warm. I put a fresh label on the relay and it hasnt started discoloring yet. I plan to keep an eye on it but wondering why it would be getting so hot. The old plug definitely melted some but i popped the spade out and was definitely a good solid crimp.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor