I have my grand mothers 1984 Monte with cloth landau 305 ac and wire wheels approx 54000 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.

grandamman

G-Body Guru
Nov 7, 2005
up in the hills
Welcome. The problem is, we get a lot of first posters trying to sell something. Usually those members leave to never be seen again once they get put in check. If you decide to keep the car and become an active member, we are truly a great group of people who share a common interest. Good luck with your sale.

Zach, I totally disagree with this tactic. Some people fall into owning a G Body and come here simply to try to sell the car. I don't see anything wrong if they leave after the sale/no sale. Some come here to get out of G Bodies. Some even come here to unload it, but decide to keep it........
"Some" long time members here want to have a damn hissy fit if someone doesn't tell them where they are from , history of the car and what they do for a living etc..... As far as G Bodies go, the 84 Monte is FAR from the worst, ugliest most under powered.

Reactions: 1 user

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
MILLIONS of 1984 Monte Carlos?
They must be more popular than I thought. Just don't see that many to make that statement seem accurate.
136,780 is far from millions, but for one year of production in 1984, it's pretty hefty as far as car production goes. It was the highest production year for Montes. And Cutlass too. They made 157,806 2 door Supremes/Calais in that year.

Reactions: 1 users

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
MILLIONS of 1984 Monte Carlos?
They must be more popular than I thought. Just don't see that many to make that statement seem accurate.
Millions is g-bodies. I don't see many people saying, "man, I really need a base model low end 194 Monte Carlo, how many did they make and where..."

Reality is for a basic nothing-special car like that it's going to be a buyer of a g-body who will consider a cutlass, regal, monte, grand prix, or Malibu pretty much equally.

1978-1988 olds cutlass bodied cars alone, OVER 3.5 MILLION built. Add your other to that.

(Source: http://tech.oldsgmail.com/misc_styles.php)

Edit:

Monte Carlo production 1981-1988 body was 854,575, of which 161067 were the more desirable SS models. When you include the 1978-1980s, total production jumps to 1,678,531.

(Source: https://www.ss396.com/cars/1978-monte-carlo/ change the year then add)

Many many many millions of base model gbody cars to choose from is the point.

Last edited:
  • Indifferent

Jorge1958

Master Mechanic
Mar 2, 2019
Columbia City Oregon
They may have built millions of these but there are millions of these that have been roached, trashed and made into dirt track cars. Its hard to find a good clean original car. At least on this side of the mountains.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
I get the point, but if you go that route, you can say Mustangs are a dime a dozen if you added up all the ones produced over the years. Well, they kinda are to me, but in general, each year may have that "thing" that makes them desirable.

No, generic vanilla G-bodies make up the majority of the G-body population. The Monte SS, GN, etc., were minor numbers in the big scheme of things. The cars weren't really designed to be performance cars for the most part, other than the small production numbers as pertaining to those "special" versions. And by today's standards, none of them are worth a flip unless you mod the heck out of them.

If it was an 84 Monte SS, that would merit more $$ because of how small the number was for that particular version in 1984. But the typical Monte Carlo was made for dependable and stylish transportation. GM learned a big time lesson after that 2nd oil crunch and it took a long time to recover from that.

If the car is super-nice, it'll probably be worth more than the other run of the mill cars that have high miles and not so good body panels, but it's not where people are investing their $$ when they go look for a G-body. Sorry. JMO.

• Agree

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
Unless you have a black, turbo Regal, your G is worthless. Now, driving a cool G (daily for bonus points) can be priceless from the others that recognize and aren't so lucky.

Jorge1958

Master Mechanic
Mar 2, 2019
Columbia City Oregon
Unless you have a black, turbo Regal, your G is worthless. Now, driving a cool G (daily for bonus points) can be priceless from the others that recognize and aren't so lucky.
I have an 86 MCSS Black T Top with less then 23,000 miles on it. I certainly think its not worthless. I dont want a Grand Pa car.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor