Idler Arm Stud Spinning

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldscutlasswagon

Apprentice
Dec 13, 2016
I cannot remove the nut that fastens the idler to the center link, the stud started spinning with the nut after a turn or two. I tried vice grips, tried c-clamping the connection point to pressure the stud. No luck. I tried side loading the stud by grabbing the idler and pressing up/down hoping to hold the stud still.
Suggestions? Is the stud designed to rotate?
Doesn't look like there's room to use 2 jam nuts...

axisg

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 17, 2007
YYZ
choice #1 Oxy Acetylene with a cutting tip ( to save the centre link )
choice #2 nut splitter
choice #3 sawsall \ death wheel thru the hardened steel

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Could you wedge it with a pickle fork between the nut and the centerlink? The shaft that is spinning is part of the centerlink right? I'm not looking at it so I don't remember for sure.

• Agree

axisg

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 17, 2007
YYZ
you are right Jared, I was thinking of my safari van. The centre link on the gbody has the stud on each end where it bolts to the idler which then bolts to the frame. Whereas on my van the stud is mounted on the idler ( and needs to be changed every 2nd year pia !).

Apologies, however if that stud is spinning then I would likely be replacing the centre link as well

• Agree

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Could you wedge it with a pickle fork between the nut and the centerlink? The shaft that is spinning is part of the centerlink right? I'm not looking at it so I don't remember for sure.

I have used the pickle fork in a situation like that but I wedged the pickle fork in between the idler arm and centerlink

• Agree

oldscutlasswagon

Apprentice
Dec 13, 2016
Yes the stud is part of the centerlink. The nut is holding the idler onto the CL. Are these studs supposed to rotate when steering is happening? Since it has a zerk on the centerlink that's what I thought.
I'm not sure there's enough space for me to get a pickle fork in there, but I might just destroy the nut with a dremel. Then I'm worried about spinning happening during installation of the new idler.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
have you checked the idler arm?. If the idler arm has some play you might want to change that too and not worry about taking the nut off or separating the idler arm and center link

• Agree

oldscutlasswagon

Apprentice
Dec 13, 2016
Replacing the idler is what I'm trying to do here. The stud from the CL goes through the idler and attaches with a nut, which won't come off because the stud is spinning. Centerlinks aren't too expensive but if I can avoid replacing it that would be nice.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
the taper on the stud is what hold the stud in place. The nut should come off and the stud should stay in place and then a fork is used to separate it. I would put a jack under the center link at the idler arm to see if that will lock the stud. Also if the stud on the center link is spinning without much resistance that is a sign it is worn. I don't know who installed the center link but it looks like they did not properly tighten it to make sure the taper stud seated at the idler arm.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
Yup. Jack it up. Use an impact to overcome the breakaway torque on the nut.

Sometimes you may be forced to cut it out.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor