im sick of this (a rant about the aftermarket)

Status
Not open for further replies.

G_Body_Enthusiast

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Feb 28, 2005
Louisville, kentucky
the only parts ive found that yearone has for GP's is 1/4 panel extensions, 77-78 and some to 80. nothing beyond 81 i think. the funny part is on that same page they have some for 4 door buicks...WTF???? they have a separate listing for 2 door regals...

you mean to tell me they make these things for 4 door buicks which are almost nonexistant but have none for 81 and up GP's?

see this is what angers me with these companies. stupid crap like that.

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
There are some things that are hard to find in nice shape for a G body, and that no one offers new. I have looked for years for the stupid window felts for the wide trim option Cutlass with no luck. I can get the ones for a base model, but not a Brougham, Salon or 442. I have had it pretty easy where I live as G bodies were common down here in Florida, but now they are starting to dry up. The ones you do find are usually so beat that there is little to nothing left half the time. Still, it's easier than being an AMC guy. I have an AMC Spirit GT with a 360 swap that I am getting rid of soon because I am tired of it, but I can't find even the simplest parts sometimes. I go months without finding one in a junkyard. Fortunately, I have a large stash of AMC crap to draw from (and an even bigger G body one!), but it is almost impossible to find a rocker panel for one.

I just have to wonder if there is any future to the restoration industry. They seem stuck in the early 70's at newest. You also have to wonder what new cars from today will actually be restorable in the future seeing as how the technology is so complex that it will likely be cost prohibitive to do so, if gasoline is even available when today's cars are classics. The newest cars I can see having any real restoration aftermarket are from the late 90's to maybe mid 2,000's (Mustangs). After that, the Sport Compact thing dried up due to complexity and resistance to modification, and the newer Musclecars have similar issues.

saganhill1980

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 9, 2009
Yeah, I do agree about the lack of parts. But there are a lot of parts from the F bodies that do fit the G body. For instance I put a Hotchkiss tube A arms on my 80 GP and used 79 Camaro rotors/calipers so I could upgrade to 12inch rotors from the 10inch used on the stock GP. I also used a F body master cylinder for better breaking. Its mostly trial and error.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor