In over my head

Status
Not open for further replies.

ItsnotaGN

G-Body Guru
May 28, 2016
Colorado
If you're on a budget, sounds like the 428 would be cheaper to finish. Driveline wise, either way LS or 428, the rear is the weak link and will eventually need addressed. You can get a later HEI distributor for a Pontiac, I don't recall if 83 was CCC, but that solves ignition. Either way you need custom exhaust. The earlier engine negates the need for custom gauges and electronic speedo. You may get lucky and be able to bolt the 3.8 alternator to the 428 brackets. Any competent driveshaft shop can tell you how they want you to measure for a shaft and build you one. Either way you need an upgraded radiator. Sounds like you're a few weekends and 12 packs away from having a runner. Then I would definitely find a set of the red and chrome "428" emblems Pontiac used on the rockers of the full size q-ships they came in and affix them prominently in a place no one could ignore.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

Local Hero

G-Body Guru
Nov 24, 2016
Northcoast, Cleveland, Ohio
I think you answered your own question.

Keep in mind, I'm working on a pretty limited budget.
!

If you think you're over your head with what you have, then you'll REALLY be over your head with the LS. I'm not for or against LS swaps. But I AM for getting it running with the least amount of drama. In my book that means work with what you have. You're a good chunk of the way there. If you didn't already have a known running engine and trans combo, then I might suggest going the other route.

• Agree
Reactions: 4 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
How/where are you going to drive the car? Highway? Just around town?

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
No matter the answer my vote is get the car going with what you have. It's way more fun having an imperfect running car.

• Agree
  • Winner
Reactions: 3 users

Doug Chahoy

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 21, 2016
No matter the answer my vote is get the car going with what you have. It's way more fun having an imperfect running car.
I'm a Chevy guy all the way, but in this case use the Pontiac and 400 if it's just going to be a fun driver. Last I read Chevy puts the 400 in the new COPO Camaros.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Survey says- - - 428 baby! I had a 400 in my '81 Malibu and it was awesome. A '69 428 is a high compression engine. You can deal with that or change heads for low compression. It is also a long stroke engine meaning it makes brutal power at low rpm's. A T-400 is indestructible. Use it. 3:08 or 3:23 gears will be smooth on the highway even with a 7.5 rear. Finally, I am all about a Pontiac in a Pontiac. Nothing better.

• Agree
  • Winner
Reactions: 8 users

bob64

G-Body Guru
Mar 30, 2017
Niagara Falls, Canada
428 torque monster verse another ls swap, just typing it hurts my bones!!

You got the engine and transmission so save your money an install it. The rearend is okay for them 30mph step on it wheel spins (good for sh*ts an giggles) but not for off the line with any amount of HP/TQ. So get a rearend with the savings if installing the 428.

Ls is just common now days, 428 is like chickens teeth.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK

(y) It sure would beat an imperfect non-running car! I can tell you a couple things about that.

And my vote is 428, because 428!

Reactions: 1 user

paul.m

Master Mechanic
Oct 20, 2018
I am a all chevy guy too , but this is a case were keeping it pontiac is the best choice . Usually theirs nothing as cheap to fix then what you already have ! Besides sounds like your half way there already , and dont sweat the exhaust once you bolt on your manifolds or headers the things that need to be done will become apparent . That 400 is bullet prof no worries their ! The 7.5 will do for now , just dont bolt on any big sticky tires on the back , or do a lot of hard launches

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor