Royal Smart Person
- Jul 15, 2013
I posted this in my Salon build thread but thought I would post it here. Hopefully end up a sticky. I want to say that this is how I do it. There may be other ways but I got awesome results and pretty cheap. With my aero Salon, I did not have an option to buy new panels. Finding good used ones are non existent. Anyway on to step one. I used a portable sandblaster from Tractor Supply around $90. Harbor Freight has a gun that has a hopper on top you put the sand in for around $20 and I'm sure it would work too. I used medium coal slag media. I'm sure just about anything will work. After blasting there were craters and gouges that were left from deeper sun damage. If you end up with an area that blew through, I'd recommend the chrome backed tape used on ducts. That stuff is sticky. You could use a 2 part epoxy also. After taping the back side of the hole, fill it with epoxy or putty. Use a glazing putty and hardner and spread it over the deep areas. I sanded it with 120 grit dry on a medium density foam block. If you don't block it, it will be visible. I wiped it down with wax and grease remover. I then tach ragged it. I shot on a pretty good coat of Dupli Color bed liner in an aerosol can. I let it flash off and shot a second wet coat on. This stuff takes hours to dry so my suggestion is to wait till the next day. I then used a piece of 320 grit dry and lightly rubbed down the texture. Just enough to start flattening it off. This makes it look like the factory grain. Then wipe it, tach it, and spray on your SEM vinyl and plastic interior paint. I don't have any before pics only what I started with today. I had previously shot on roll on bed liner hoping it would fill the low areas which it did NOT do.