Intermittent Starting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jamieo

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 3, 2017
My buddy has an 83 Cutlass Supreme that has an issue to where the car won't start after shutting it off. This only happens every couple weeks and starts right up with a jump. Battery has been replaced twice. Can the alternator be an issue or ground? Any input would be appreciated.

MontesbyE

Greasemonkey
Sep 12, 2020
North Carolina
My buddy has an 83 Cutlass Supreme that has an issue to where the car won't start after shutting it off. This only happens every couple weeks and starts right up with a jump. Battery has been replaced twice. Can the alternator be an issue or ground? Any input would be appreciated.

Could you elaborate a little more on the issue, does it crank and not start? wont crank? etc...

Reactions: 1 user

Jamieo

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 3, 2017
My apologies. It does not crank, the car has zero response to the key being turned. It acts like there is no power going to it, then it will start 30 minutes or so later.

Jeff Blagden

Master Mechanic
Aug 12, 2016
Winnipeg Manitoba Canada
is there a heat shield missing from the starter I had a GM back in the day I changed starters but did not put on the heat shield and when I drove it on the highway it would not start for 20 minutes until it cooled down I quickly put back the heat shield not sure if this is the same problem but it would not turn over at all but this was a 1975 firebird with a 350 just trying to help good luck in trying to solve your problem

Reactions: 3 users

Max Headroom

Master Mechanic
Sep 8, 2011
I would look at the starter getting heat soaked.

is there a heat shield missing from the starter I had a GM back in the day I changed starters but did not put on the heat shield and when I drove it on the highway it would not start for 20 minutes until it cooled down I quickly put back the heat shield not sure if this is the same problem but it would not turn over at all but this was a 1975 firebird with a 350 just trying to help good luck in trying to solve your problem

What they said!!

Reactions: 1 users

Jamieo

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 3, 2017
I'll give it a look tomorrow and post the findings. Thanks for all the inputs.

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Heat soak or loose stud on the starter or a loose wire. Seen it a few times.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

303'505rollin

G-Body Guru
Sep 4, 2020
Colorado2newmexico
My olds does that too oddly at the weirdest times/places, it's my power cable to battery it wiggles a thread loose and nothing all power is lost I pop the hood twist the rubber on the positive and it clicks and its ready to go. It's done this for years when ever it get jealous I think. I've switched cables new side post studs put in gold plated ones still does it.

Jamieo

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 3, 2017
UPDATE----
So we never got around to looking at the starter because the car cutoff on him while he was driving down the highway. When I went to pick him up the car wouldn't even try to turn over again. We swapped the fuel pump and alternator yesterday and it tries to crank now but won't fire up. I put some carb cleaner in the carb and nothing changed. I pulled off the pump to carb line and fuel was coming out when he turned the ignition. The plugs, wires, and distributor cap and rotor are all new and ran after changing, just the issue with not starting after being shut off. Can the starter solenoid still be an issue since the motor spins when trying to start, just not firing up? I feel like we may be missing something fairly simple.

Attachments

• 20201031_154431.jpg
    20201031_154431.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 219
  • 20201031_154448.jpg
    20201031_154448.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 213
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor