Jeep Shaft Heads Up !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GuysMonteSS

Royal Smart Person
May 21, 2011
Kentville,Nova Scotia,Canada
Call me Negative Ned, or a whiner or whatever, but this is why you won't find junkyard used parts of unknown history, condition, or mileage on any safety-related system on any of my cars. I question the idea of "freeing up" the collapsable feature of the shaft as well.

IF you're going to put a non-original steering part in your car, I would strongly suggest buying new. People complain that they're expensive, but will spend thousands of dollars on stuff that carries minimal safety hazards.

I question the design of the shaft if indeed there is no steering after the failure, as every OEM coupling I've seen has some capacity left after a failure, albeit usually very sloppy. I lost a rag joint on a 67 F100 once that resulted in a lot of slack, but the design did not allow total loss of steering

Yeah,I was kind of shocked by such a piss poor design that would allow something like this to happen.
After I get back to work again I will be looking into something different for next year.
Guy

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Reactions: 1 user

GuysMonteSS

Royal Smart Person
May 21, 2011
Doesn't sound like an upgrade to me.

At the time it sounded like a great upgrade,not so much now ...
Got a part # for that Borgeson shaft ???
Guy

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
At the time it sounded like a great upgrade,not so much now ...
Got a part # for that Borgeson shaft ???
Guy
I bought it from Summit probably 15 years ago, so I don't know any part numbers but I bought the collapsible shaft separate and then two different u-joints to match the steering column and gear box. I think Flaming River has a complete one for our cars also.

oldsofb

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Dec 7, 2007
Maryland
Sorry that happened to you AND glad nothing bad came from it. Thanks for posting this.

I have one on my shelf that was ready to go in when the time came. Now I'm giving it the stink eye. Don't need that kinda drama in my future. UMI has a Flaming River shaft on their Green Machine. Think I'll be investing in a little peace of mind.

Hutch

Reactions: 1 users

Z48LT1

Greasemonkey
Oct 10, 2015
Space Coast, Florida
There must be a jillion of these among the forum members. I'll toss in for a brewski for the guy/gal that comes up with a sound engineering fix that doesn't involve using any Ford or MOPAR parts.

Maybe drilling a pair of 1/4" holes for grade 8 bolts at right angles on the circular housing to lock the shaft to the housing?

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
There must be a jillion of these among the forum members. I'll toss in for a brewski for the guy/gal that comes up with a sound engineering fix that doesn't involve using any Ford or MOPAR parts.

Maybe drilling a pair of 1/4" holes for grade 8 bolts at right angles on the circular housing to lock the shaft to the housing?
It's already a MOPAR piece, there's the problem :LOL:

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users

454GrandPrix

Master Mechanic
Jul 27, 2016
Lehi, Utah
I bought my new Borgeson collapsible steering shaft with universal joints

Can you tell me/us more about this? I checked their web site and it seems they don't have anything specifically designed for our G-Body cars; they imply I'll have to cobble together some sort of "universal" kit. Is that what you did?

EDIT: now that I read through the rest of the thread, I see you've more or less answered this question.

Reactions: 1 users

GuysMonteSS

Royal Smart Person
May 21, 2011
Can you tell me/us more about this? I checked their web site and it seems they don't have anything specifically designed for our G-Body cars; they imply I'll have to cobble together some sort of "universal" kit. Is that what you did?

EDIT: now that I read through the rest of the thread, I see you've more or less answered this question.

I just looked at Flaming River,and they don't seem to have a G Body specific shaft either,so I sent them an email.
Guy

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor