Jeep Shaft Heads Up !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
You need 2 joints, the box has a 3/4" 30 spline input, the size of the column is double D 1" The only time you need 3 joints is if you have to get around an obstruction

Reactions: 2 users

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
and if anyone is using the Astro/Safari shaft and you change the steering box that has a different size input the shaft on the Astro/Safari is double D 1"

Reactions: 1 user

oldsofb

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Dec 7, 2007
Maryland
Looking for the EZ Fit steering shaft was difficult. It looks like one of the only places to get it is Flaming River themselves. Even then, their website doesn't list it in steering shaft section. If you do a search for "EZ Fit" it says there are 19 results but nothing to click on or see. The site is a bit wonky and I had no luck ordering (wouldn't take visa or paypal), got an error code both ways.

Luckily there was that article that had the part number. I did a web search using the part # and I got this:

https://www.flamingriver.com/index.php/products/c0008/s0001/FR1857-20S

There's a comment section at the end of the order process to put in your specs. I would call if the site still won't take payments.

Hutch

Reactions: 1 users

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
If I had a jeep shaft I would drill right through it with a 5/16 drill so you don't remove to much material from the steering shaft and use a nut and bolt to secure it. After someone having close call with it I would not trust it.

GuysMonteSS

Royal Smart Person
May 21, 2011
Kentville,Nova Scotia,Canada
Looking for the EZ Fit steering shaft was difficult. It looks like one of the only places to get it is Flaming River themselves. Even then, their website doesn't list it in steering shaft section. If you do a search for "EZ Fit" it says there are 19 results but nothing to click on or see. The site is a bit wonky and I had no luck ordering (wouldn't take visa or paypal), got an error code both ways.

Luckily there was that article that had the part number. I did a web search using the part # and I got this:

https://www.flamingriver.com/index.php/products/c0008/s0001/FR1857-20S

There's a comment section at the end of the order process to put in your specs. I would call if the site still won't take payments.

Hutch

Nice but a little on the expensive side.By the time it landed in Canada,with customs fees,shipping and handling and the difference in our dollars,it would probably be close to $ 700.00
Guy

• Agree

GuysMonteSS

Royal Smart Person
May 21, 2011
If I had a jeep shaft I would drill right through it with a 5/16 drill so you don't remove to much material from the steering shaft and use a nut and bolt to secure it. After someone having close call with it I would not trust it.

Yeah I'm thinking about doing this,even though I had it welded.
Now I feel uneasy driving the Monte because I keep thinking about how it felt to turn the steering wheel and not have the car turn with it.
Guy

• Agree

GuysMonteSS

Royal Smart Person
May 21, 2011
Well,I believe that I have the final solution for this shaft,short of an expensive replacement.
Paige at my local NAPA got me a Grade 8 - 1/4 inch x 1 3/4 inch long bolt.
I drilled a 13/64 hole and tapped it for a 1/4 X 20nc bolt.
I had to drill one side out a bit bigger so the bolt would go through.
A dab of Red Loctite should hold it in place and it's in good and tight.
So now its welded and bolted.I cant see it coming loose again for a long,long time LOL
And I did this with the shaft in the car,just had to turn it to get it in the right position,and it was pretty easy to do.
Heres a few pictures;
IMG_0377.JPG
IMG_0378.JPG
IMG_0383.JPG
IMG_0384.JPG

And one of my favorite tools;
IMG_0385.JPG

Guy

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Guy, I should have suggested this befrore. I have an Astro/Safari shaft set up for my Z box that I am not using. I have my Delphie box in the GP which uses a different knuckle on the Astro/Safari shaft. I think you mentioned the Astro/Safari shafts are hard to find in your area so If you want I can ship the shaft that is set up for your car let me know. You can have it for the cost of shipping.

Doug Chahoy

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 21, 2016
So I guess I should get my mig running again. Seems like the easiest and most economical solution

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor