Jeep Shaft Heads Up !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
The rubber portion that failed is all about driver comfort - keeping the wheel from getting jerked in your hand. For most that want a factory ride/drive or better, then these shafts are fine. Obviously, you have to check over the parts for defects, but this is hard to see. Personally, being able to feel every crack in the road or when a tire isn't perfectly in balance doesn't bother me as we push our G-body pretty hard at the strip.

The local speed shop carries a shaft that is a direct bolt in for a G-body for under $80 (thank you circle track guys). It has replaceable joints and you can also swap either yoke in case you swap gears or columns. There must be other speed shops that service 'street stock' or'pure' stock classes near you- check with them.

Reactions: 3 users

oldsmobile joe

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2015
mpls
I'll toss in for a brewski for the guy/gal that comes up with a sound engineering fix that doesn't involve using any Ford or MOPAR parts.
i, as well as others, are using the astro van steering shafts. no rubber, and collapsible. fits 79-88 steering columns.

Reactions: 1 user

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
So, I just looked at mine. It appears to have a lock key welded to the outer shaft. Is that not the case? I'm seeing a tab in a slot on the firewall side that appears to be a safety catch.
20180805_150954.jpg
20180805_151636.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
I never understood the point of this "upgrade"
I had the rag joint fail on my 67. Luckily, I was just trying to park at the time. Granted, it is manual steering vs power assist, but losing connection between the loose nut behind the wheel and the steering box will make you sick inside.

oldsmobile joe

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2015
mpls
I never understood the point of this "upgrade"
the original shafts will wear out and with no new shafts available from gm, an alternative was found.

GuysMonteSS

Royal Smart Person
May 21, 2011
Kentville,Nova Scotia,Canada

GuysMonteSS

Royal Smart Person
May 21, 2011
I had the rag joint fail on my 67. Luckily, I was just trying to park at the time. Granted, it is manual steering vs power assist, but losing connection between the loose nut behind the wheel and the steering box will make you sick inside.

You got that right,I was just glad that I wasn't going around my "Test Corners" at a high rate of speed when this happened.
Guy

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

GuysMonteSS

Royal Smart Person
May 21, 2011
the original shafts will wear out and with no new shafts available from gm, an alternative was found.

It seemed like a good idea at the time,and this was before I ever heard of anyone using the Astro Van shaft.
Guy

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor