Joke of the day

Which kind of points out something of a defect in my own personal knowledge about ammunition. Having Never handled or used blanks at any point during range exercises, I gotta ask if dropping out the cylinder on a revolver and simply looking at the casing and primer would be enough to distinguish between a live round and a dummy load? I do recall there being some mention by another movie armorer of blank rounds being "drilled" in some fashion for the purpose of identifying them but wouldn't that be just in an on the loading bench situation? And how come all those various rounds that were apparently found on the set got mixed up in one common container?

I do recall one of the most important points that got repeatedly mentioned and stressed, both in safety courses and on the range, was to never trust that the weapon about to be used was safe. "Trust" meant personally dropping the clip and racking the slide, (or dropping out the cylinder if a revolver), to make sure a round hadn't been already jacked into the chamber; even if you had just seen someone else do the same thing. Some instructors had the sneaky habit of safing the weapon and then, sleight of hand, managing to surreptitiously re-insert a round back into the firing chamber, usually while misdirecting attention by continuing the lecture or talking about other related issues. Made for some interesting moments and a lot of yelling when a student got caught in the "I saw him just drop the clip and rack the slide to make sure the firing chamber was empty and it must still be true" mode of thinking.

JUst me being curious here.

Nick

Last edited:
Love This Japanese Doctor
Q: Doctor, I've heard that cardiovascular exercise can prolong life. Is this true?
A: Heart only good for so many beats, and that's it... Don't waste time on exercise. Everything wear out eventually. Speeding up heart not make you live longer; it’s like saying you extend life of a car by driving faster. Want to live longer? - Take nap.

Q: Should I reduce my alcohol intake?
A: Oh no. Wine made from fruit. Fruit very good. Brandy distilled wine, that means they take water out of fruity bit so you get even more of goodness that way. Beer also made of grain. Grain good too. - Bottoms up!

Q: What are some of the advantages of participating in a regular exercise program?
A: Can't think of one, sorry. My philosophy: No pain...very good!

Q: Aren't fried foods bad for you?
A: YOU NOT LISTENING! Food fried in vegetable oil. How can getting more vegetable be bad?

Q: Is chocolate bad for me?
A: You crazy?!? HEL-LO-O-O!! Cocoa bean! Another vegetable! It best feel-good food around.

Q: Is swimming good for your figure?
A: If swimming good for figure, explain whale to me.

Q: Is getting in shape important for my lifestyle?
A: Hey! 'Round' is also a shape!

Well... I hope this has cleared up any misconceptions you may have had about food and diets.
And remember:

Finally, the Japanese Doctor summed up: Look mister, Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Beer in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO-HOO, what a ride my life was"!!!!!
Eat whatever you like because you will still DIE, don't allow motivational speakers deceive you.

1. The inventor of the treadmill died at the age of 54.
2. The inventor of gymnastics died at the age of 57.
3. The world bodybuilding champion died at the age of 41.
4. The best footballer in the world Maradona died at the age of 60.
BUT
5. The KFC inventor died at 94.
6. Inventor of Nutella brand died at the age of 88.
7. Imagine, cigarette maker Winston died at the age of 102.
8. The inventor of opium died at the age of 116 in an earthquake.
9. Hennessey Cognac inventor died at 98.
How did these doctors come to the conclusion that exercise prolongs life?
The rabbit is always jumping up and down but it lives for only 2 years and the turtle that doesn’t exercise at all, lives 400 years.
So, take some rest, Chill, stay cool, eat, drink and enjoy your life.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Which kind of points out something of a defect in my own personal knowledge about ammunition. Having Never handled or used blanks at any point during range exercises, I gotta ask if dropping out the cylinder on a revolver and simply looking at the casing and primer would be enough to distinguish between a live round and a dummy load? I do recall there being some mention by another movie armorer of blank rounds being "drilled" in some fashion for the purpose of identifying them but wouldn't that be just in an on the loading bench situation? And how come all those various rounds that were apparently found on the set got mixed up in one common container?

I do recall one of the most important points that got repeatedly mentioned and stressed, both in safety courses and on the range, was to never trust that the weapon about to be used was safe. "Trust" meant personally dropping the clip and racking the slide, (or dropping out the cylinder if a revolver), to make sure a round hadn't been already jacked into the chamber; even if you had just seen someone else do the same thing. Some instructors had the sneaky habit of safing the weapon and then, sleight of hand, managing to surreptitiously re-insert a round back into the firing chamber, usually while misdirecting attention by continuing the lecture or talking about other related issues. Made for some interesting moments and a lot of yelling when a student got caught in the "I saw him just drop the clip and rack the slide to make sure the firing chamber was empty and it must still be true" mode of thinking.

JUst me being curious here.

Nick
Several different types of blanks, and appearances of blanks...

Best and safest rule, assume it's always loaded until confirmed not to be. Even when at the range or at matches I watch someone clear a gun... Then hand it to be.. I always reclear the gun. Even after doing so, I don't flag anyone or myself.

But enough about firearm rules being broken .. back to the jokes.

Reactions: 1 user
  • Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Not disagreeing with the facts of the situation. Just not happy about how guilt and innocence seem to have been relegated to the court of public opinion and mass media. Things have become so bent that instead of innocent until proven guilty, it is now just guilty as assumed, no proof required or solicited. You are quite correct in asserting that he pulled the trigger. No dispute there. But there is a range of perspective that can be applied here that goes from total accident to pre-meditated murder and the media seem quite willing to ignore the accidental aspect of it and go straight for the felonious.

If anything, Baldwin may have a lawsuit pending against the props and armorers for something known as "injurious reliance" Summarily he relied on the supposed expertise of others to create and maintain a high level of safety for all present and working on the set, and it didn't happen. His reliance on that presumption led to the discharge on an unsafe weapon and someone died as a consequence.

Hey, I'm no lawyer here. I'm a firm believer in the adage that sharks don't eat lawyers due to professional courtesy. I'm also surprised that Baldwin stopped and took the time to confront the papparottzi (sic) and respond to their pestiferous questions. I also note that while he was doing it, his wife was carefully and meticulously using her cell phone to record every question and questioner as well as the answers that were given. No chance anyone can try to spin or edit what was said. Good for her.

And I think ole Bugs tends to get more grief today for having a cigarette in his mouth than he did for challenging Yosemite Sam to a shootout. It has only been within the last 125 or so years that dueling has been discouraged by society. The NRA is pro right to own/carry, not so much in favor of having a cheroot in your chops while at the gun range.

The best variant on the theme that I ever encountered was a novel entitled, "The Right to Arm Bears". The cover, in glorious color, showed a fairly large brown bear, wearing a brace of bandoliers and toting an automatic weapon of some kind. Now totally out of print and costs $$$$ if you can locate a copy somewhere. A copy is on my "To add to my Library list."

Nick
I am guessing he is judged more harshly than he otherwise would be because of his previous job at SNL.

Not disagreeing with the facts of the situation.
For one thing you may be approaching things from a Canadian mindset instead of American, especially when it comes to legal matters.

if this was any 'normal' person in America, you've got concepts of strict liability, and ideas like utter negligence, reckless disregard for safety and wanton abandonment for human safety and sanctity of life, so on so forth.
You are quite correct in asserting that he pulled the trigger. No dispute there.
Which is all that matters. Willingly picking up a known functional firearm (whether unloaded or not), pointing it in the direction of a living thing (without personally checking if loaded), and pulling a trigger.

Textbook case of all needed elements of a crime. He intentionally pointed it. Knew it was a gun. Knew it was capable of firing a round if properly loaded. Never checked personally if it wasn't.
But there is a range of perspective that can be applied here that goes from total accident to pre-meditated murder and the media seem quite willing to ignore the accidental aspect of it and go straight for the felonious.
Because, here, it is felonious. There is no 'accident', EVERY firearm must ALWAYS be treated as loaded anytime you pick it up no matter what you're told.

I grew up around guns since preschool, and as a toddler I knew you treated any weapon not just as if it's loaded, but as if it currently holds a misfired round that could discharge at any time until you personally knew otherwise. Second rule was never point it anywhere but at the ground unless you were aiming AT something you intended to shoot.
If anything, Baldwin may have a lawsuit pending against the props and armorers for something known as "injurious reliance"
If anything he is an idiot that needs to spend a couple decades in federal prison for wounding one and ending the live of another.

If he spent 1/1000th the amount of time learning basic firearm safety as he does on being a liberal anti-gun Hollywood hack nobody would've been wounded, and nobody would've died.

Which kind of points out something of a defect in my own personal knowledge about ammunition. Having Never handled or used blanks at any point during range exercises, I gotta ask if dropping out the cylinder on a revolver and simply looking at the casing and primer would be enough to distinguish between a live round and a dummy load?
Wouldn't have mattered. His ONLY defense is that, supposedly, he was relying on someone somewhere having said there was nothing loaded at all in the weapon, live rounds or blanks.

Back to first rule of firearm safety - every gun is treated loaded until you verify personally.
Some instructors had the sneaky habit of safing the weapon and then, sleight of hand, managing to surreptitiously re-insert a round back into the firing chamber, usually while misdirecting attention by continuing the lecture or talking about other related issues. Made for some interesting moments and a lot of yelling when a student got caught in the "I saw him just drop the clip and rack the slide to make sure the firing chamber was empty and it must still be true" mode of thinking.
I sincerely hope they were inserting a dummy round/already fired shell in the chamber. If not they should be fired, have their licenses revoked, and be brought up on reckless endangerment charges.

Guns aren't toys, and whether toggling safety on or not, you don't mislead anyone into thinking a weapon is empty/cleared intentionally, ever. No guarantee some idiot doesn't flip a safety off in handling, there's some defect, etc etc.
I am guessing he is judged more harshly than he otherwise would be because of his previous job at SNL.
He should be judged harshly for being an idiot. And anyone handling a gun, for a movie as a prop or otherwise, should be trained and know basic safety. If they choose not to get that education, anything that happens is 100% on them. If they have, and ignore that training, same deal.

Most children living in the country have more common sense than he does.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users
He should be judged harshly for being an idiot. And anyone handling a gun, for a movie as a prop or otherwise, should be trained and know basic safety. If they choose not to get that education, anything that happens is 100% on them. If they have, and ignore that training, same deal.

Most children living in the country have more common sense than he does.
That is the issue though, there were supposedly experts there to control weapons on the set and control of the weapons and the ammunition should have been handled by them exclusively until about 10 seconds before the camera started rolling and again and returned to the weapons expert about 10 seconds after scene completion. Checking over the weapon, or in this case, opening the cylinder to check if there are live rounds vs blank rounds would potentially cause issues because the revolver may no longer be lined up with the correct round.

Weapons control on this set was god-awful and it cost someone their life. That being said, if you have an expert on the set you either trust the protocols that they put in place or you replace the expert.

Pinning the blame on the person that pulled the trigger is only true to the extent that they seen that established practices were not being followed and said nothing or were themselves violating the policies set by the expert. From the information that I have read so far, it seems like the former more than the latter.