Status
Not open for further replies.

dotheshuffle

Apprentice
Dec 17, 2015
va beach
So plans change a bunch. I originally bought this car for a hundred bucks and immediately built it for the drag strip. Que the Mullets. Ran a best of 13.90 a couple years ago and decided to hang it up. You really gotta pay to play when I comes to performance, and drag racing a turd is boring. (A side note: The oil leaks on a 350 are outstanding, by the way. Second to none.) Plus, I want my son to be able to ride in the car with me without hallucinating. Enter: Back seat & exhaust.

I'm currently running a 750 holley on a heavily cammed, Nixon-era 355 with exhaust dumps. Attached to that is a built th350 connected to a Bald Eagle All American 10 bolt 3.73 posi-trac rear end. What else?

New plan: Pro touring. yes LS swap. yes EFI. yes America.
I have on the engine stand now a 150k mile LQ9. I am retaining the factory bottom end, replacing all the bearings and got a bumpstick for it from Tick Performance. Seriously, those guys are top notch. I also kept the 317 heads but let Brian Tooley Racing get hot and nasty with the valvetrain. Looking at this motor gives me the same dirty thoughts I get driving the ZL1 to Kroger. It's really not for kids.

Starting the frame off soon

4l65e or T56? Trump would know.

P1000749_zpswcu8jmwt.jpg

No I'm not retarded, left the flex plate there on purpose-ish

P1000747_zpso53q8upk.jpg

P1000752_zpsksooixzl.jpg

This motor was clean!

P1000753_zpshgbxddpn.jpg

See? same feeling. lol

I'll post up pics of the sled when the weather in Virginia makes sense.

-Alex

Reactions: 3 users

dotheshuffle

Apprentice
Dec 17, 2015
va beach
First update: I promised a picture of the project I'm now calling: The Full Monte... Mainly since I have changed directions with this build so many times and I have finally decided on what I'm going to do with the car.

My 1983 SS

The built 355 that's being swapped out

LQ9 Block and pistons are ready to go! the cam, heads and crank are on the other side of the garage

New wiring harness from speedway motors :D cheap as i'll get out! (painless wanted my arm for their harness)

22 circuits! decent communist quality at that

Another pro-touring plus; my interior is making a comeback! my red carpet has been waiting in the trunk! the padding is still in good shape too.

I bought another project however, couldn't pass up the deal. NO rust whatsoever.

Working on the Monte's suspension in the near future. stay tuned!

-Alex

dotheshuffle

Apprentice
Dec 17, 2015
va beach
Well, the lq9's gonna be on hold. What a fortune even stock LS parts cost... As soon as I get my money right I'll start on that. For now I can take care of the cheap stuff. :)

Reactions: 1 users

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
Well, the lq9's gonna be on hold. What a fortune even stock LS parts cost... As soon as I get my money right I'll start on that. For now I can take care of the cheap stuff. :)
I understand that! I planned on doing a "budget" style 5.3 swap for my cutlass. After finding a freshly built short block minus the cam or timing set, with h3 pan and oil pickup, harness, ecu, intake i bought in at $360. Add $350 for a spec'd tick stage 1 turbo cam, new gaskets($$$ ouch), turbo ready front cover, oil pump, chain and TFS chain dampener w/adapter, balancer, flexplate, and some junkyard parts...yadayada I'm in around $1kish(i try not to keep exact track because it hurts sometimes lol). I still need a set of heads, new springs for said heads, accessory drive brackets, turbo kit, etc.

It adds up quick, but that's hotrodding!

• Agree

Clutch

Geezer
Apr 7, 2017
Brick NJ
G-BODYS and square bodys lol sounds familiar I know I guy that likes them both

dotheshuffle

Apprentice
Dec 17, 2015
va beach
I understand that! I planned on doing a "budget" style 5.3 swap for my cutlass. After finding a freshly built short block minus the cam or timing set, with h3 pan and oil pickup, harness, ecu, intake i bought in at $360. Add $350 for a spec'd tick stage 1 turbo cam, new gaskets($$$ ouch), turbo ready front cover, oil pump, chain and TFS chain dampener w/adapter, balancer, flexplate, and some junkyard parts...yadayada I'm in around $1kish(i try not to keep exact track because it hurts sometimes lol). I still need a set of heads, new springs for said heads, accessory drive brackets, turbo kit, etc.

It adds up quick, but that's hotrodding!

Yes it is! As they say... "you gotta pay to play!"

I'm deeper than that just in the motor and machine work! Don't get me started on what I've done to the car, lol. There's not a single part attached to that frame that's original from 1983.

Once you get that turbo kit though, I'm sure everything you've saved thus far will be spent, turbos are buku $$$ I hope to be N/A as long as possible. But knowing myself, I'll more than likely be traveling down that road someday.

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
Yes it is! As they say... "you gotta pay to play!"

I'm deeper than that just in the motor and machine work! Don't get me started on what I've done to the car, lol. There's not a single part attached to that frame that's original from 1983.

Once you get that turbo kit though, I'm sure everything you've saved thus far will be spent, turbos are buku $$$ I hope to be N/A as long as possible. But knowing myself, I'll more than likely be traveling down that road someday.
For sure....i know all too well man! I've had my cutlass since 2001....it has been through many transformations and awhole lot of Bens! There is still alot left to do before my resto is done, as usual it comes down to time and money!
The turbo kit isn't cheap, but i always wanted to boost the cutty, and backed out a couple times. I already have the fuel system installed from my efi build that is more than capable of boosted hp levels.

Reactions: 1 user

dotheshuffle

Apprentice
Dec 17, 2015
va beach
For sure....i know all too well man! I've had my cutlass since 2001....it has been through many transformations and awhole lot of Bens! There is still alot left to do before my resto is done, as usual it comes down to time and money!
The turbo kit isn't cheap, but i always wanted to boost the cutty, and backed out a couple times. I already have the fuel system installed from my efi build that is more than capable of boosted hp levels.

Money=Time
Time= I ain't got none

• Agree

dotheshuffle

Apprentice
Dec 17, 2015
va beach
G-BODYS and square bodys lol sounds familiar I know I guy that likes them both

I have an affinity for vehicles without aerodynamics

Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor