L.E.D Tail Lights

Status
Not open for further replies.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
GP,
Thank you for the great tips. It sounds like you've had some experience assembling these before.
If so, we may need to pick your brain on occasion.

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Andrew,
The one big advantage I see between LED bulbs vs. circuit boards is that you can place more LED's on a board than you can using bulbs, which equates to more candlepower.

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
Yes, I have seen that stuff used on boards and the like.

FE3X, I have yet to see a bulb in a old red housing be nice and bright during they day. Then again, I haven't bought anything from superbriteLEDS.com. But all the styles from all the stores I have tried aren't as bright as a regular 1156/7 or 3156/7.

FE3X CLONE

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 2, 2009
Ohio
Two of these have the same amount of LEDs as most of the boards do:

http://www.ddmtuning.com/Products/1157- ... X-3528-SMD

And at 420 lumens each are the same brightness as a typical incandescent 1157 bulb. In fact, they would end up much brighter considering the LED's light output wouldn't get filtered out trying to go through the red lens.

I like the ingenuity of adding the boards to the stock housings, but I would hate to try pulling one apart, especially if you have a set of NOS tail lights. I think for those the bulbs might be a quicker, less invasive solution.

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
FE3X CLONE said:
Two of these have the same amount of LEDs as most of the boards do:

http://www.ddmtuning.com/Products/1157- ... X-3528-SMD

And at 420 lumens each are the same brightness as a typical incandescent 1157 bulb. In fact, they would end up much brighter considering the LED's light output wouldn't get filtered out trying to go through the red lens.

I like the ingenuity of adding the boards to the stock housings, but I would hate to try pulling one apart, especially if you have a set of NOS tail lights. I think for those the bulbs might be a quicker, less invasive solution.

I see what you mean, and agree with the specs and in theory, should always be brighter. Definitely easier. But I have had bulbs like those, I may have them home, and since the LEd's are wrapped around, the light emitted from the LED has to be reflected from the housing to the lens. The light emitted from the LED is has a limited angle, so the light from some of those LEDS may never get reflected. Also, wand to run red LEDs for red lenses. If you run super bright white ones, the red lens will filter all the other frequencies of light, allowing just the red through, but will not be that bright.

They are a longer lasting replacement yes, but more ofter than not, they are not as bright at all angles, and sometimes strait on, in the daylight when it is important. That is why the purpose built LED headlights and others are nice and bright where you want them.

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
I could fully understand not wanting to hack up a pair of NOS lenses. But like Jim says, the light emitted from LED bulbs is not the same as an array of LED's. LED's display the brightest when viewed straight on. In that case, bulbs must depend on the background reflector.

beermonkey9417

Royal Smart Person
Apr 8, 2007
des plaines, il
also your best bet for brake lights is to use red leds. if you use white leds it will look more pink than red. just an fiy...

gp02a0083

Master Mechanic
May 17, 2011
I'm glad i can contribute a little bit to the community. I play around with electronics at work with both high and low voltage circuits in addition to micro controllers.

Long roof , beermonkey and Fe3x, you guys make valid points. LED's typically have a very narrow angle that they emit light compared to a inconsistent bulb that scatters light in all directions. Due to the small angle LED's tend to have "hot spots" or have a pin point light source. I've tried with various gauge clusters on imports and domestics, there are a few ways to get around this, first is to add more LED's so that the light angles kinda mix together when using an array of them. Another is to sand down or scuff the top of the LED, max lumen output will be decreased a little bit however the way the light disperses is better. The simplest one is to just select a family of LED's that naturally have a wide angle. Some of the reasons mentioned is why those "bulb type" LED replacements don't work out too well. As far as the color goes, what others have mentioned will work very well, red LEDS for the red lights /lenses and "white" for the reverse lights and yellow /orange for the blinkers / side markers. LED's have a narrow wavelength emission , meaning that the "white" LED may actually be centered to a blue(cooler) or red (warmer) shift. This should not be a problem what so ever for just using them strictly as a lamp.

overall the benefits to the LED's are :
low power consumption ( not not need as much current / voltage to drive them)
typically operate cooler within conservative operation parameters than conventional bulbs
Overall lifetime is much longer than incandescent or fluorescent bulbs
The "turn-on" time is much faster, making it ideal for brake lights. Normal bulbs have a inherent "lag" as the filament heats up

Downfalls
Additional circuitry is required, resistors, ballast resistors, more LED's ect.
Pre-made units are expensive, better off making your own and learning something really interesting
Extreme cold climates, the turn on /off time gets affected and they operate "slower"

Some considerations when selecting components for this project:
select a wider angle LED, somewhere between 30 to 45 degrees should work well
consider the wattage specs for the resistors and LED's so they will not generate too much wasted energy via heat (IE 12V system @ 0.25W is about 0.02A )
here is a link for some decent 12V LED's http://www.bivar.com/portals/0/products/5HX12V-X.pdf
Another work around is to use a lower voltage LED and step down the 12V to whatever is the spec you need. typically the higher voltage LED's will cost more
Use a drafting program like LtSpice that is free and use it to lay out the schematic for the proto boards
Consider the way the circuits are connected, a string of LED's connected in series and multiple strings connected in parallel, or all LED's connected in parallel
22 gauge should be good to use for wire leads, i use 22 gauge on 600V systems , however they are sub Mili amp currents.
Use Rosin core solder, I've seen plenty of guys grab that roll of solder they have had on the shelf for years, its a good bet that it may be acid flux solder (will corrode)
As mentioned before when finally assembled use some type of insulating epoxy. I like the Devcon stuff I mentioned about, it does not get rock hard and is easy to mechanically remove if re-work needs to be done and still does a good job of insulating / corrosion protection.

Sorry for the novel guys

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
Sorry for the novel guys

No worries at all. That is why I typed a long post. Good information to be shared. I had build small LED boards, for my shift light for example, and other things just using small project boards and the like. But no taillights just yet.

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
GP 02,
Thanks for all the comprehensive information and shedding more "light" on the subject, pardon the pun.. :lol:
..and thank you for the link to Bivar.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor