L29 454 swap

Status
Not open for further replies.

scoti

Royal Smart Person
Sep 5, 2019
Texas
Not sure about hose diameters, but I may or may not know a guy who ran a hose that was flared out with an exhaust pipe expander and he didn't have any issues.
Or, one can use standard exhaust pipe adapters for cooling line hoses of diff sizes.

Use the radiator end hose @ that end & the correct engine hose @ the other end. Somewhere in between the 2 ends where the hoses are as straight as possible use an adapter (ex: 1.5" that steps up to 1 3/4"). I've done it on a couple of vehicles w/o issue.

Reactions: 1 user

scoti

Royal Smart Person
Sep 5, 2019
Texas
Same guy I know had an issue doing it that way as there are no barbs on the exhaust adapters and the hose blew apart at the adapter.
Small bead of weld on the edge of the tubing fixes that after everything is test fit together/before final assembly. It doesn't need to be 360° of weld; just 3 or 4 spots does the trick. Any muffler shop can handle it for minimal cost if a guy doesn't have a welder.

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
Small bead of weld on the edge of the tubing fixes that after everything is test fit together/before final assembly. It doesn't need to be 360° of weld; just 3 or 4 spots does the trick. Any muffler shop can handle it for minimal cost if a guy doesn't have a welder.

This is true. I've had this done to intercooler pipes and it does work.

marauderprime

Apprentice
Jun 21, 2016
Not sure about hose diameters, but I may or may not know a guy who ran a hose that was flared out with an exhaust pipe expander and he didn't have any issues.
So this guy took a standard Monte Carlo SS hose to an exhaust shop, and had them expand the inlet from 1.5" to 1.75", and it held the new size long enough to install it onto the car, and then did not experience negative side effects associated with that?

scoti

Royal Smart Person
Sep 5, 2019
Texas
So this guy took a standard Monte Carlo SS hose to an exhaust shop, and had them expand the inlet from 1.5" to 1.75", and it held the new size long enough to install it onto the car, and then did not experience negative side effects associated with that?
While this approach sounds possible, I would worry in the event of failure "in the wild".

marauderprime

Apprentice
Jun 21, 2016
I just ordered a 1971 6.6 camaro lower radiator hose, a new pressure line, and the fitting for the return line. I will trade my belt in for another one when I pick them up. If this hose doesnt fit, I'm going to take a stock SS lower to an exhaust shop. If it works, I'll get a second one made and throw it in the trunk

marauderprime

Apprentice
Jun 21, 2016
So, the last mail order issue I have is the Power Steering hose return fitting. Everybody sells the hose, its just standard rubber hose, but I can't find it with the fitting attached. Does anyone know if the fittings are identical going into the steering box? because if so, I found the Pressure hose for 9 bucks on Rock auto with a warranty, so I could just get 2 of those, and modify the other one to fit. I would only do that if the supply and the return fitting int he steering box are the same. I am sorry for asking, but I am not with the car to be able to check the sizing, the car is offsite until it is completed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor