ls tank in a ss question

Status
Not open for further replies.

RO86SS

Greasemonkey
Jun 10, 2009
tampa,fl
Hello everyone. Before posting this I did my research and still haven't found my answers.Ok I have a 86 Monte ss with a newer style 350.on the 350 the spot to bolt a mechanical fuel pump is blocked off. So I'm thinking of getting a fuel tank out of a tbi Monte or a grand natti.reason I'm going this route is cause I plan on going ls1 in the future.now my 350 is stock other than edelbrock intake and carb.my question is I know the tanks will bolt right in but would I need a fuel psi regulator to run those fuel pumps.would I need a fuel return line and how would I wire the fuel pump.is there connections already ran from factory or would I have to wire it. Which tank would work best.

bigmandengo

Apprentice
Oct 16, 2010
The only wiring you need to add is an ignition wire to power the fuel pump. The grand national tank will work fine, you just need to have the proper regulator to reduce your pressure down to ~6psi.

RO86SS

Greasemonkey
Jun 10, 2009
tampa,fl
Any idea on a fuel return line?

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
Depends on the regulator you use. Some return and some just deadhead.

RUDE DOG

Apprentice
Oct 1, 2012
I would just take the plate off and install a mechanical fuel pump, and later when you do your ls engine swap id get a new stainless sending unit and pump from racetronix to install into present tank. If you do score a tbi or gn tank you can benefit from the internal baffles so that will be a plus.

RO86SS

Greasemonkey
Jun 10, 2009
tampa,fl
I wish it we're that easy. There's no plate. It's completely closed of no hole no plug.

CWPottenger

G-Body Guru
Oct 9, 2012
DRIVEN said:
Depends on the regulator you use. Some return and some just deadhead.

You must run a return fuel line for the factory in-tank pump. it uses the return fuel flow for cooling the pump. Just regulate down as said. This is the setup I run. It works very well and reliably. I have an 84 T-type so mine was already wire for the in-tank pump.

RO86SS

Greasemonkey
Jun 10, 2009
tampa,fl
Cwpottenger.do you have your return coming from your regulator?I also heard that the corvette fuel filters would work also cause there is a return line on it.

RO86SS

Greasemonkey
Jun 10, 2009
tampa,fl
Corvette filter.

Attachments

• 959.jpg
    959.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 532

RO86SS

Greasemonkey
Jun 10, 2009
tampa,fl
RUDE DOG said:
I would just take the plate off and install a mechanical fuel pump, and later when you do your ls engine swap id get a new stainless sending unit and pump from racetronix to install into present tank. If you do score a tbi or gn tank you can benefit from the internal baffles so that will be a plus.

Attachments

• IMG_20121125_170327.jpg
    IMG_20121125_170327.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 554
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor