Ls1 t56 clutch pedal opinion

Status
Not open for further replies.

85GPLef41

Royal Smart Person
Nov 14, 2008
Colorado
I recently picked up a 98 T56 trans and have done some research in regards to the clutch pedal.. BUT i'm still in the air to go a certain route.. I read modified fbody pedals, manual gbody pedals, modified John Bzdel pedals, Aftermarket pedals etc etc.... I found GSI clutch pedal:
http://www.gsi-interiorss.com/item/tran ... lid=983837

it seems to be my best option but i need the neutral safety switch etc to work.. :shock: who has a ls1 t56 swapped in there G body? I would like to use the factory parts to keep it reliable as possible. Thanks!! also what else have you done to make it work??

bigblockfrank

Greasemonkey
Mar 24, 2009
mt.vernon, ky
i also bought a t56, im going with with john bzdel pedal. gbody pedals would be my second. i read the fbody pedals sets up is to high, but they would work.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I have an F body pedal, they do sit too too high and I cut mine to lengthen it and to position the pedal where I like it. I couldn't find a G body pedal or an aftermarket at the time. If either is available I wouldn't waste my time with an F body pedal

dyrt

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 26, 2012
Yardville, NJ
I have a bzdel pedal and i matched it up to a stock g-body pedal and drilled the hole for the neutral safety switch that way. I actually have a stock set of pedals and used the switch from that set. I would look into a switch first to see what you can find since g-body switches may be hard to find then adapt from there. The gsi pedal from what i read matches up the same to the bzdel pedal in terms of pivots placements. I have an lt1 setup and i am not sure how the feel differs between the two clutch systems and the bzdel pedal, but the geometry is not factory perfect in my case. Having said that, it does work and is reliable but make sure you either reinforce the firewall or make brackets like the f-body set has to triangulate between the clutch master and the pedal assembly. I am working on modifying an f-body pedal to work in our systems instead of cutting my bzdel pedal to lower the main pivot point closer to the clutch rod point to make the pedal effort less. As it is now, it makes takeoffs without clutch chatter kind of difficult.

85GPLef41

Royal Smart Person
Nov 14, 2008
Colorado
pics?? i am having trouble visualizing it... damn Mickeys!! :lol: I am thinking a GSI interiors pedal for now... i want to make everything work.. :wink:

85GPLef41

Royal Smart Person
Nov 14, 2008
Colorado
another member has gbody pedals for sale how would they work?

dyrt

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 26, 2012
Yardville, NJ
I will get you some pictures of my setup when i get a chance which will not likely be for a few days....things have been busy getting things done for winter. The stock g-body pedals are all fine and good as long as you can weld. If you look up john bzdel on google and look for his original build log you will see what he went through to pioneer this swap for the masses. Some people had done it before him but he documented it thoroughly. In this, you will find pictures of an original pedal onto which he welded a tab to match up with the clutch rod. You can do this as well if you want to use a stock pedal.

85GPLef41

Royal Smart Person
Nov 14, 2008
Colorado
thanks! I have read his build thread and consider it my bible to my swap... Especially cuz it's emsissions legal and i'm in his phase 1 build.. :wink: I've thought about emailing to see if he still sells the pedal. I just want this swap to be painless as possible, i have had a bunch of setbacks.. :wink: There is a difference between the lt1 and ls1 slave cylinders right? another question how did you guys make the Neutral safety switch, VSS, and reverse lights operational? the cags will be eliminated and the speedometer and tach.. i am still trying to figure out whether keep it mechanical or swicth to electric guages... :roll: I'm sick of all the research online just hoping you guys who have done this would chime in. :mrgreen:

sideways

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 13, 2011
Niles, Ohio
Im running the GSI pedal and a Tick master cylinder for an f-body, Quicktime bell ,stock GM slave and throwout. Love it 8)

85GPLef41

Royal Smart Person
Nov 14, 2008
Colorado
sideways said:
Im running the GSI pedal and a Tick master cylinder for an f-body, Quicktime bell ,stock GM slave and throwout. Love it 8)

What did you do about the pedal stops for the clutch, is it the travel adjustable by the Tick master cylinder? I plan on using my stock pieces if i can.. trying to keep it on a budget! :lol: How did you mount the NSS on the pedal? I think i figured out i speed sensor, and reverse lights...

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor