manual lock up 200-4r

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigdawg

Master Mechanic
Oct 9, 2011
im about to put a couple hundred miles on the freeway with the old girl and i have been cruising around without lock up since i dont go on freeway often but id like to have a manual switch till i can get it done right later.

how do you do this? theres four pins:

A B
C D

what do i do with each one ?

trying to help with mpg a little bit

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I'm not sure you have the pins in correctly identified but the lock up solenoid is either a 1 wire or two wire. The 1 wire is ground on the solenoid bracket. If it's a 2 wire the ground is at D and the + side is A. If you apply 12 volts to A and a ground to D if needed the convertor should lock up

bigdawg

Master Mechanic
Oct 9, 2011
yea im not sure if its labeled

A B
C D

im just using this order so people can let me know which is which.

how do i know if its 1 or 2 wire?

so your saying grounding the D i have bottom right pin, and a hot to A upper left, it should lock up?
do i simply flick the switch when i hit about 45 mph and flick it off under 45?

Fairly certain the purple wire is bat+ and brn/blk is neg- If you only have one wire, it's likely purple. There may be a grn/wht wire, that should be 3rd gear select to the computer. IIRC, purple comes from the battery through the brake pedal. The green/white to the computer goes to ground in third gear. The brown/black wire is the ground switch wire from the computer. This way the converter won't lock until the trans is in at least third gear, but will unlock when the brake is applied. The computer also uses engine temp to decide when to lock the converter by grounding the brn/blk wire. It's pretty smart! :lol:
You could wire the green/white to the brown/black via a switch in the car and leave the purple wire through the brake pedal. This way once the engine is warm, you can flip the switch and the trans will lock the converter itself in third gear. And still disengage when you brake. All these wires should be near the computer in the right kick panel.

bigdawg

Master Mechanic
Oct 9, 2011
took her for a jog today since i dont drive her as often as i like and it turned into a sprint 8) damn vortec motors are nice lol

anyways mine has a total of 4 wires and xitabl442 i dont think that way would work. and btw i dont have a computer anymore

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
all you have to do is drop the pan and you'll see what configuration the wires are in the 4 pin connector. In this picture the two wire (brown + and black-) is the wiring to your solenoid. If you only have a brown wire to the solenoid and the black ground wire is attached to the metal bracket attached to the solenoid. The other brown wire is gong to the 4th gear pressure switch.

0707120913.jpg

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
how much in a hurry are you?. I have the wiring from the TCI set up with the 4th gear pressure switch and the two wire solenoid and the 4 pin connector with wire leads to ground it and install a toggle switch. I didn't use the brake switch or the vacuum switch (which never worked anyway) and locked it and unlocked it with a toggle switch. It's easy to replace the solenoid and pressure switch

bigdawg

Master Mechanic
Oct 9, 2011
i dont really know anything about transmissions. i dont know what the solenoid is or what it does lol or 4th gear pressure switch i was hoping this would be simple

bigdawg

Master Mechanic
Oct 9, 2011
i have like a million questions why do they unlock it from factory when you hit the brakes can it **** it up? when would you want to lock it after third gear? why isnt it as simple as running a hot to one and a ground to another to locking it? what does TCI mean?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor