Manual Trans

Status
Not open for further replies.

D's350GP

Apprentice
Aug 14, 2006
I want a manual trans in my car very very badly!! From what i hear im better off with an auto, cuz their cheaper, and easy to find, but NOTHING beats a manual. Does anybody know of a good way to put a manual trans in their G-body, or any SBC or BBC setup?

jerrycad472

Master Mechanic
Nov 11, 2006
Detroit, MI
Keisler Automotive sells complete Kits for converting G-Bodys to a manual. The may also sell some of the individual components if you want to piece yours together yourself. Also Try John Bzdels site. Has Step by step for putting an LS1 / 6spd into a G-body so it includes a lot of detail for setting up a manual. I think places like Dixie Monte Carlo sell some of the factory manual parts (Clutch pedal and linkage, etc).

ONE EYE

Greasemonkey
Aug 24, 2006
in front of the computer...
the hardest part is installing the pedals, and not shedding a tear when you cut the floor. other than that, its a cake walk.

i can detail it for you if you want, PM me if you need help. my camino is stick and works MINT.

heres the link to my page for it.
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2522391/1

gman

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 3, 2006
Winnipeg
In 81, GM Canada made some 4 dr Malibus for export to Iraq. We call them Iraqi taxis. Some were not shipped and remained in Canada. These cars were equiped with a three on the floor. All GM parts. Might be a little hard to find in the US. Pretty hard to find here but I have a documented one. The point is the parts were avail;able from GM. I think they used the same setup but with a 4 speed in Monte Carlos and El Caminos. If you want factory parts they are out there. The aftermarket also has parts. Good

GP403

Administrator
Site Admin
Feb 25, 2005
Rolla, MO
The scoop goes something like this (iirc):

You could get either the 3 or 4-speed Saginaw in the '79 Pontiacs (Grand Prix/Grand Am) and '79 (and I *think* '80) Montes/Malibus/El Caminos... 2 or 4 door or wagons, didn't matter. Just depended on how they were ordered. Don't think '78 had them. I've seen combos of most of the above... and...

You could get a Borg Warner 5-speed (T-5?) in the '79 Cutlass as well (incl. 4-dr and hatchbacks). Only model/year for that one.

The pedals/bellhousing/flywheel/boot etc. on mine came from a '79 Cutlass 2-dr 5-speed, the trans and shifter from a '79 Grand Am 2-dr. The 5-speed had a bum 1st gear (growled like mad) and at the time ('90-'95) no parts could be had. The 5-speed had a short shifter that sat about 8" further rear-ward. It was a top-mounted "rail" shifter vs. the 3/4-speed forks....

They used those 5-speeds in Monzas/Sunbirds too, and they had a unique c-member on the cutlass. (different mount location)

Here's how you could get them for the '79 Pontiacs anyway:
Grand Prix: 231 V6 - 3spd only, 301 V8 4-spd only.
LeMans/Grand Am: 231 V6 - Either 3 or 4spd, and 301 V8 4-spd only.

Dunno about the Chevrolets, or why you couldn't get a 231/4spd Grand Prix(!)

clean8485

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 18, 2005
Ontario, Canada
I had 2 of the Iraqui Malibus. They were made for the 1981 model year and eventually sold in Canada. They were equipped with the 229 cu in (3.8Lt) Chevy V6 and a 3 speed Saginaw transmission with a floor shifter.
I believe that reproduction parts are available, either from Dixie Monte Carlo Depot, or from a company called Musclecar Factory, or Musclecars Only. The one part that is really hard to find is the manual trans steering column with the ignition key release feature.

81camino

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 2, 2006
Casey Ia
stick car

I had an 81 I got from my Dad when I was 16. Chevy 3.8 with a 3 speed saginaw. I switched to a 4 speed saginaw shortly after. Then about 6 different small blocks later I sold to move for a job. It was bone stock before I got it. Dad bought it from the original owner.
A former friend of mine from my hometown owned several factory sticks. Several wagons, el caminos, a 2 door malibu w/ 305 and air conditioning. Most unique I remember was a 80 cutlass with w/ a 305 and all options.
About a year ago at the closest to me you pull it there was an 80 regal with 307 and stick. Dont know if 3 or 4 speed it had been robbed of it all a day before I got there.

ryanwitski

Master Mechanic
Nov 5, 2006
OH
I'm still a little comfused. I'm clueless about manual trans. So if I get a manual (any Gm and a crossbar that will fit it onto my car) I then just need the pedals and Z bar linkage (ebay) right? I know you need the clutch to be in good condition and such but is the bell housing special for the g body or any bellhousing with the "hole" on the drivers side.

ONE EYE

Greasemonkey
Aug 24, 2006
in front of the computer...
its all G body specific. the hardest part to find is the clutch fork. the hole on the bell is higher up and the fork is bent down at the end.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor