Maybe a dumb oil ?....

Status
Not open for further replies.

RICKDIZZLE

Master Mechanic
Sep 16, 2014
Ok...here is the question. How many quarts are truly suppose to be run in the 3.8 V6 such as one that came in the Oldsmobile Cutlass in 1985. I run 5 quarts, dip stick says 4 quarts capacity and people are telling me its 4.5 quarts. A buddy of mine advised I could be shortening my engine life due to running at 5 quarts. Tried to google it but cant find a straight answer. Whats the real word on this everyone?

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Whatever reads full on the dipstick when the engine is cold. reason? So most of the oil drains down to get an accurate reading. Should have it in the owner's manual.

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Usually you only put 5 quarts in with an oil filter change. 4 normally just draining out of the pan.

lilbowtie

Comic Book Super Hero
Jan 7, 2006
Canton Mi
I'd use the manufactures specs.

Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme Sedan 3.8 V6
as offered for the year 1985 since October 1984 in North America

Make:

Oldsmobile

Model:

Cutlass 5th generation

Submodel:

Cutlass Supreme Sedan

Optional equipment:

Production/sales period:

October 1984 - October 1985

Modelyears:

Body style:

sedan

Doors:

Traction:

RWD (rear-wheel drive)

Engine type:

spark-ignition 4-stroke

Fuel type:

petrol (gasoline)

Cylinders alignment:

V 6

Displacement:

3791 cm3 / 231.4 cui

Horsepower net:

82 kW / 112 PS / 110 hp (SAE net)

Horsepower gross:

Transmission type:

automatic

Number of gears:

According to our sources, oil, coolant and fuel capacity for this version of 1985 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme Sedan 3.8 V6 are as follows:

Engine lubricant oil capacity:

4.7 liter / 5 U.S. qt / 4.1 imp. qt

with filter change

Engine coolant capacity:

12.3 liter / 13 U.S. qt / 10.8 imp. qt

Fuel tank capacity:

68 liter / 18 U.S. gal / 14.9 imp. gal

Battery capacity (Ah):

airboatgreg

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 2, 2016
Go with the 5 quarts. Actually as I recall it is closer to 4.5 quarts due to the small oil filter. Remember oil provides about 30% of cooling capacity

CaliWagon83

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2017
Orange County, CA
OK. I'll follow up with my own "dumb oil question." At some point, I'm going to attempt to crank over my 3.8 that's sat for 5 years. My buddy says if you get it to crank over and idle, run it for a while on the old oil (assuming you have enough) THEN drain it and put in new. I thought the best thing to do was to drain the old oil before you start it, and put in fresh.

airboatgreg

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 2, 2016
I can pick either side and argue. If you opt to change oil you should always fill the new oil filter with oil before you put it on. The 3.8l was a bit particular on this. I would crank on old oil as you don't know how it is going to run. Flooding? may have developed a coolant leak internally. Remember oil really doesn't wear out. It just gets contaminated with crud, fuel, coolant, exhaust by pass, etc.
Start it, see how it runs then you are on a clean plate when you change the oil.
Next question is why did you park it?

CaliWagon83

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2017
Orange County, CA
Long story. Right now, I'm in a townhouse, and I don't have room for a third car. My mom lives by herself, and we recently sold my late dad's car, so she had space for it in her garage. Unfortunately, she lives 400 miles away, so I can't just buzz over to mom's to tinker with it. The longer story is it was the family car for I guess what was essentially our "second home," and lived in Knoxville, TN for most of its life. Since we weren't really using the Knoxville house anymore, my mom decided to lease it out, but we needed to do something with the wagon, and I told my mom I wanted it.

The long-range plan is to get a house down here with space for a third car, and it will be my ongoing weekend project. Right now, my plan is to go back up to my mom's over a long weekend, and try to get it cranked over.

airboatgreg

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 2, 2016
Sounds like a great plan. Good luck. Will you have any issues with the smog stuff living in California?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor