Metro or Softseal Door weather stripping

Status
Not open for further replies.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
JIm,
Blake is right, you don't need too much adhesive. Mostly around critical areas that tend to want to shift, or move...and as Blake pointed out, it couldn't hurt to add a dab between the anchor pins. In fact that's what Metro's instructions suggest. I found that the seals were very installer friendly...no problems whatsoever....well, except at some points, the pins took a little extra effort to push on.

Reactions: 1 user

84cutspreme

Royal Smart Person
Jun 4, 2009
I purchased soff seal lower door seals for my 2dr cutlass. complete garbage. worst part is where factory molded ends are almost like a shell inside the end to maintain shape, the soff seal ones have 3 washers there. I tried to install them with the help of an uncle who has owned an operated an auto body shop for quite some time. With the washers in place it stretches all out of whack. To boot when I called soff seal about issues they wouldn't help because I didn't order directly from them. I bought them from a soff seal vendor at carisle gm nationals. I would not spend any money on soff seal as a brand and ended up throwing out the ones I bought.

• Agree

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
I found both soft seal and metro lower door seals to fit poorly, only GM makes lower door seals that fit.

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
That I can agree on, but it is irrelevant since they are not available.

• Agree

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
That I can agree on, but it is irrelevant since they are not available.

Same here, but you go with the closest replacement parts that are available. Sure, we'd all like to replace parts with OEM rather than aftermarket, but I'll bet the quality of rubber weatherstripping is better today than what was available 30+ yrs ago.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
GM never made weatherstripping, it was made by an outside company under GM's licence. Just like alot of parts on these car, like the Auburn posi rear end .

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: 2 users

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
Very true.

With this thread, the point was to get some opinions on these two products, by owners who have installed the different brands. It seems Metro is the way to go, I appreciate all the feedback!

tobyp

Royal Smart Person
Jun 12, 2011
Cincinnati, Ohio
There are newer molds out there by trim parts which makes a better door and hard top seal which had the better softer block. It is a much better option than both the soffseal as well as the metro. I tested the TP seal on my 81 for them. However, with this being said since TP bought soffseal it may be the same one now.

tobyp

Royal Smart Person
Jun 12, 2011
Cincinnati, Ohio
Same here, but you go with the closest replacement parts that are available. Sure, we'd all like to replace parts with OEM rather than aftermarket, but I'll bet the quality of rubber weatherstripping is better today than what was available 30+ yrs ago.

nope, you all know I am a HUGE AM supporter. All seals pretty much stink compared to the seals GM used back in the day. The slip coat used is not even close, and the factory used a metal ribbon banding inside. Aftermarket does not use this technology and most seals...if not all of them are made in India regardless on where they say they are marketed or sent from.

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
There are newer molds out there by trim parts which makes a better door and hard top seal which had the better softer block. It is a much better option than both the soffseal as well as the metro. I tested the TP seal on my 81 for them. However, with this being said since TP bought soffseal it may be the same one now.

I can see that happening. Did TP make seals for the wagons?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor