Muscle, donk or lowered. Whats your choice

Status
Not open for further replies.

treed_cutlass

Apprentice
Oct 17, 2008
Qdub24 said:
pontiacgp said:
it's not just the skinny tires...a low profile tire doesn't allow it any give for traction..

I will say that run was impressive and do you know if it has a 7.5 rear cause like in the pic it sure looked like fangs so he must have done something to make it hold up to that power...

Low profile tires are skinny tires.

I can't confirm that he has a 7.5, but they're not hard to modify to withstand high horsepower, so it may be one.

Whenever i hear someone say "skinny" or "fat" in reference to tires I'm assuming they mean the width.

"Low profile" just refers to the height of the sidewall.

Here's some mandatory homework: http://www.talontire.com/glossary.html

treed_cutlass

Apprentice
Oct 17, 2008
Qdub24 said:
You speak of that which you nothing about. I've smoked plenty of cars on stock wheels with my old Impala SS when it was on 22s. Your theory may sound absolutely correct to you, but plenty of cars, including my own, can prove that wrong anyday of the week. 5lbs is so minute that it really doesn't make a difference in performance by itself.

By the way, my car is on 26s and I got a big block, so who cares about gas mileage?

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

You, "sir", and I use the term loosely, are the ostrich with its head the furthest in the sand.

That's not an apples to apples comparison. I'm not saying that 22s or whatever are an automatic loss, yes, their weight and MOI can be overcome and COMPENSATED FOR. You need to have a more powerful engine to achieve the same performance! Read my post again. You know its true.

One vehicle, lets say one like your "old Impala SS", lets say its bone stock, EXCEPT IT HAS 22s.
Another vehicle, just like it, optioned the same, geared the same etc, ABSOLUTELY bone stock right down to the wheels.
You will lose. Period. Maybe not by much, but you will. It's inevitable. It's physics. It's not a "theory" as you put it. It's not about "sounding correct". It's about BEING CORRECT.

Big wheels do slow down cars. The extent to which they do depends on many factors. Refuse to believe it, or accept reality. I really don't care! Have fun in candy land! ROFLMAO

Take Physics 11, open up your mind to science instead of fanboy-ism.

Qdub24

Royal Smart Person
Sep 6, 2006
Columbus, GA
treed_cutlass said:
Qdub24 said:
pontiacgp said:
it's not just the skinny tires...a low profile tire doesn't allow it any give for traction..

I will say that run was impressive and do you know if it has a 7.5 rear cause like in the pic it sure looked like fangs so he must have done something to make it hold up to that power...

Low profile tires are skinny tires.

I can't confirm that he has a 7.5, but they're not hard to modify to withstand high horsepower, so it may be one.

Whenever i hear someone say "skinny" or "fat" in reference to tires I'm assuming they mean the width.

"Low profile" just refers to the height of the sidewall.

Here's some mandatory homework: http://www.talontire.com/glossary.html

That's not how it's used when referring to big wheels. Skinny & fat refer to the tire's sidewall height. 25 or 30 series sidewalls are considered skinnys. 35+ series sidewalls are considered fat/truck tires. Skinny tires were made to help eliminate the need for lift kits on cars to fit bigger wheels. That's why there are so many G-Bodies on 24s and 26s now w/o lift kits. People on budgets still buy the big/truck tires cause they're cheaper, and they end up cutting up their fenders or using big lift kits.

Qdub24

Royal Smart Person
Sep 6, 2006
Columbus, GA
treed_cutlass said:
Qdub24 said:
You speak of that which you nothing about. I've smoked plenty of cars on stock wheels with my old Impala SS when it was on 22s. Your theory may sound absolutely correct to you, but plenty of cars, including my own, can prove that wrong anyday of the week. 5lbs is so minute that it really doesn't make a difference in performance by itself.

By the way, my car is on 26s and I got a big block, so who cares about gas mileage?

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

You, "sir", and I use the term loosely, are the ostrich with its head the furthest in the sand.

That's not an apples to apples comparison. I'm not saying that 22s or whatever are an automatic loss, yes, their weight and MOI can be overcome and COMPENSATED FOR. You need to have a more powerful engine to achieve the same performance! Read my post again. You know its true.

One vehicle, lets say one like your "old Impala SS", lets say its bone stock, EXCEPT IT HAS 22s.
Another vehicle, just like it, optioned the same, geared the same etc, ABSOLUTELY bone stock right down to the wheels.
You will lose. Period. Maybe not by much, but you will. It's inevitable. It's physics. It's not a "theory" as you put it. It's not about "sounding correct". It's about BEING CORRECT.

Big wheels do slow down cars. The extent to which they do depends on many factors. Refuse to believe it, or accept reality. I really don't care! Have fun in candy land! ROFLMAO

Take Physics 11, open up your mind to science instead of fanboy-ism.

You're wrong again. I picked on several stock Impala SSs and LT1 Caprices when I had my rims on and never loss to any of them. I picked on P71 Crown Vics and Grand Marquis regularly. They only car I ever lost to was a BMW M6 that a buddy of mine has. It's on 22s as well. Again, your theory may sound concrete to you, but it's been proven wrong a million times over.

Bumpin1ohmSS

Royal Smart Person
Jun 17, 2008
Cali to Az
:soapbox: Where's that "beating a dead horse" gif when you need it...:doh: The whole big wheels argument is so ****in played the hell out. Peeps will roll what THEY want. I got pahtna's that will smoke fools all day on 24's or better. And I got bro's on stocks that will as well. Who cares....

Elco Warren

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Qdub24 said:

you seem to completely miss the point......If you had the proper set up and proper tires it would without a doubt perform better and that's not an opinion, it's a fact..and if 5 pounds doesn't mean anything to you I can tell you have never scaled a car and you have no knowledge of a set up for dragging or anything else..

Qdub24

Royal Smart Person
Sep 6, 2006
Columbus, GA
Bumpin1ohmSS said:
:soapbox: Where's that "beating a dead horse" gif when you need it...:doh: The whole big wheels argument is so ****in played the hell out. Peeps will roll what THEY want. I got pahtna's that will smoke fools all day on 24's or better. And I got bro's on stocks that will as well. Who cares....

Elco Warren

True, but it's fun. Some of these dudes really think our cars are all show and no go.

treed_cutlass

Apprentice
Oct 17, 2008
Qdub24 said:
You're wrong again. I picked on several stock Impala SSs and LT1 Caprices when I had my rims on and never loss to any of them. I picked on P71 Crown Vics and Grand Marquis regularly. They only car I ever lost to was a BMW M6 that a buddy of mine has. It's on 22s as well. Again, your theory may sound concrete to you, but it's been proven wrong a million times over.

So how did your buddies M6 beat you? WITH A GREATER POWER TO WEIGHT RATIO. The same way you beat those stock Impalas/Caprices.

So what? Just because you have 22s you're somehow magically faster? No. You had something extra under the hood that they didn't, which you would need in order to compensate for your heavier wheels. Either you were stock and they were broken, or they were stock and you were modified. Period. Or maybe they just weren't racing with you???? LOL

I don't know how many more ways I can explain this to you. Anyways, keep pushing harder, I'm sure you'll get your head into the sand another inch. Hell, maybe another 24 inches? LOL

Qdub24

Royal Smart Person
Sep 6, 2006
Columbus, GA
pontiacgp said:
Qdub24 said:

you don't seem to completely miss the point......If you had the proper set up and proper tires it would without a doubt perform better and that's not an opinion, it's a fact..and if 5 pounds doesn't mean anything to you I can tell you have never scaled a car and you have no knowledge of a set up for dragging or anything else..

Seriously, I could drop 5lbs by dropping a deuce before a run. 50lbs would make more of an impact regarding performance. My cousin lost a ton of weight himself to get his car & driver weight down in his Vega. They're just wheels guys, not a permanent modification. They bolt on and off.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
how do you know 50 pounds will make an impact if you don't even know 5 pounds will.....go learn about setting up a car before you talk BS...you might take that 50 pounds out of the wrong place and make your car even worse than it is

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor