Muscle, donk or lowered. Whats your choice

Status
Not open for further replies.

treed_cutlass

Apprentice
Oct 17, 2008
pontiacgp said:
Qdub24 said:
You speak of that which you nothing about. I've smoked plenty of cars on stock wheels with my old Impala SS when it was on 22s. Your theory may sound absolutely correct to you, but plenty of cars, including my own, can prove that wrong anyday of the week. 5lbs is so minute that it really doesn't make a difference in performance by itself.

By the way, my car is on 26s and I got a big block, so who cares about gas mileage?

you don't seem to completely miss the point......If you had the proper set up and proper tires it would without a doubt perform better and that's not an opinion, it's a fact..and if 5 pounds doesn't mean anything to you I can tell you have never scaled a car and you have no knowledge of a set up for dragging or anything else..

Exactly. I remember reading in a car mag when the C5 corvettes came out... They thinned the windshield to save a pound or two... If they could have found another 5 pounds to shave, they would have sh*t their pants! LOL

QDub: You're ignorant if you think that I think your car is all show and no go. Sure. A cars wheels alone doesn't determine its performance. But it has an impact, just like everything else in the car. If you want to continue to be ignorant, do so. I really don't mind. It's quite comedic, actually! :rofl:

"50lbs would make more of an impact regarding performance."
Yes... and I just did 1/10th of that and you said it wouldn't really make a difference. So I take 5 lbs here, 5 lbs there, 5 lbs everywhere, and soon enough I get 50 lbs. And every time I did so, it made 1/10th the difference that 50lbs would. Hahaha... see how addition works now? Yeah! Awesome!

Again, see things for what they are, and leave your fanboy-ism at home. Defend your choice of wheels all you like.

They slow you down, whether you like it or not. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Qdub24

Royal Smart Person
Sep 6, 2006
Columbus, GA
treed_cutlass said:
Qdub24 said:
You're wrong again. I picked on several stock Impala SSs and LT1 Caprices when I had my rims on and never loss to any of them. I picked on P71 Crown Vics and Grand Marquis regularly. They only car I ever lost to was a BMW M6 that a buddy of mine has. It's on 22s as well. Again, your theory may sound concrete to you, but it's been proven wrong a million times over.

So how did your buddies M6 beat you? WITH A GREATER POWER TO WEIGHT RATIO. The same way you beat those stock Impalas/Caprices.

So what? Just because you have 22s you're somehow magically faster? No. You had something extra under the hood that they didn't, which you would need in order to compensate for your heavier wheels. Either you were stock and they were broken, or they were stock and you were modified. Period. Or maybe they just weren't racing with you???? LOL

I don't know how many more ways I can explain this to you. Anyways, keep pushing harder, I'm sure you'll get your head into the sand another inch. Hell, maybe another 24 inches? LOL

He had his traction control turned on and gained traction before I did. I think his overall vehicle weight wasn't too far away from mine, he also had the convertible top which adds more weight and his 22s on.

My Impala was stock, as far as I know. I never upgraded anything under the hood of it. All I did was paint it and add the rims. A lot of the cars I beat claimed to have gears in their rears, upgraded cams, AL heads, other stuff. I guess I'm just a great driver.

You can't explain anything to me cause you have no experience with cars on rims.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Qdub24 said:
You can't explain anything to me cause you have no experience with cars on rims.

that says it all....we don't need to have experience with oversize rims since physics tells us what we need to know...and just because you have no understanding of physics that does not mean the laws of physics do not apply to you...

Qdub24

Royal Smart Person
Sep 6, 2006
Columbus, GA
treed_cutlass said:
pontiacgp said:
Qdub24 said:
You speak of that which you nothing about. I've smoked plenty of cars on stock wheels with my old Impala SS when it was on 22s. Your theory may sound absolutely correct to you, but plenty of cars, including my own, can prove that wrong anyday of the week. 5lbs is so minute that it really doesn't make a difference in performance by itself.

By the way, my car is on 26s and I got a big block, so who cares about gas mileage?

you don't seem to completely miss the point......If you had the proper set up and proper tires it would without a doubt perform better and that's not an opinion, it's a fact..and if 5 pounds doesn't mean anything to you I can tell you have never scaled a car and you have no knowledge of a set up for dragging or anything else..

Exactly. I remember reading in a car mag when the C5 corvettes came out... They thinned the windshield to save a pound or two... If they could have found another 5 pounds to shave, they would have sh*t their pants! LOL

QDub: You're ignorant if you think that I think your car is all show and no go. Sure. A cars wheels alone doesn't determine its performance. But it has an impact, just like everything else in the car. If you want to continue to be ignorant, do so. I really don't mind. It's quite comedic, actually! :rofl:

"50lbs would make more of an impact regarding performance."
Yes... and I just did 1/10th of that and you said it wouldn't really make a difference. So I take 5 lbs here, 5 lbs there, 5 lbs everywhere, and soon enough I get 50 lbs. And every time I did so, it made 1/10th the difference that 50lbs would. Hahaha... see how addition works now? Yeah! Awesome!

Again, see things for what they are, and leave your fanboy-ism at home. Defend your choice of wheels all you like.

They slow you down, whether you like it or not. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

We've reverted to name calling now? I thought we were all adults here. Anyway, keep finding ways to drop weight on your car. I'll just keep adding more horses to mine.

Qdub24

Royal Smart Person
Sep 6, 2006
Columbus, GA
pontiacgp said:
Qdub24 said:

that says it all....we don't need to have experience with oversize rims since physics tells us what we need to know...and just because you have no understanding of physics that does not mean the laws of physics do not apply to you...

This isn't science class. New things occur in real life and things change. I guess I'm an outlaw, cause I've broken the laws of physics several times over.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Qdub24 said:
This isn't science class. New things occur in real life and things change. I guess I'm an outlaw, cause I've broken the laws of physics several times over.

your not only an outlaw, your a legend in your own mind...:rofl:

88hurstolds

Royal Smart Person
Jun 24, 2008
When you add a taller rim/tire than what as originally stock you increase the moment arm of rotation and therefore you require more torque to achieve the same rotational energy output. I took Physics I, II and III, Dynamics, Statics and have a Minor in Mathmatics and a Major in Mechnical Engineering.
Hence taller tires will do the same as adding a higher rear end gear in your car, it's the same concept of swapping out your 3.73 rear end for a 3.08 rear end...
Taller tires will affect your acceleration off the line but will increase your maximum speed in the long run.
I experienced this first hand when I swapped out my 14" stock SSIII's with very tall 275's for tiny 15" Daytons with skinnys back in the 90's... my car had killer acceleration off the line when I changed to the smaller tire but the engine was opperating at higher RPM's on the highway.
Your engine works harder with taller tires/rims.
Theres your physics, nuff said, but when you have a performance engine in your car all that goes out the window since the difference is almost negligable when your putting out over 400hp...

85Supreme

Royal Smart Person
Aug 25, 2009
agreed...lol

HurstOlds

Master Mechanic
Sep 21, 2007
Illinois
Qdub24 said:
treed_cutlass said:
Qdub24 said:
My Impala was stock, as far as I know. I never upgraded anything under the hood of it. All I did was paint it and add the rims. A lot of the cars I beat claimed to have gears in their rears, upgraded cams, AL heads, other stuff. I guess I'm just a great driver.

I guess I don't understand your argument....are you saying that your big rims made your car faster than everyone else's cars you ran?

Now, if you said that your bigger rims, which were or may have been less weight than your friends rims, made your car faster than theirs....then that would make sense. But I don't think that's what you're saying.

It sounds like you don't even know what work had or may have been done to your car based on the quote above. I vote that it was your paint job that made your car faster than everyone elses. Maybe your paint job was 5 lbs less than theirs???

How exactly have you broken the laws of physics? Please explain that one. I've taken all the same courses as 88Hurst, maybe we can translate your non-technical explainations into something that makes sense.

How well did your car with 26s run before you put the BB in it? :)

HurstOlds

Master Mechanic
Sep 21, 2007
Illinois
If anyone is planning on racing with big rims, just please be safe about it. There's tons of these videos all over the Internet....Not very safe to do on a stock car

[youtube]8znD7-l5Tmo[/youtube]

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor