My 83 Monte Carlo SS carb LS build

Status
Not open for further replies.

Opie Knievel

Rum Fueled Midnight Mechanic and Moderator
Sep 6, 2010
Brodhead, Kentucky
Good to see you're getting started. Looks like you've got a nice list of parts ordered. Are you gonna stick with an automatic transmission?

6spdg37s

Master Mechanic
Oct 21, 2016
IMG_5942.JPG
So today I pulled the old gauges out the guy had , a viper alarm system hack jobbed in and all the aftermarket wires and such

Also pulled the carb off the locked up motor and it looks like there is sand or something in there so either someone sabatoshed this guys car or maybe he hydro locked it up ? Not really sure

6spdg37s

Master Mechanic
Oct 21, 2016
Good to see you're getting started. Looks like you've got a nice list of parts ordered. Are you gonna stick with an automatic transmission?

Yes sticking with a th350 for now the stock just to get it rolling then a built th350 possibly with a trans brake

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
That looks like moisture damage to me.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Cowl hood, or maybe it sat around with the hood off or open?

6spdg37s

Master Mechanic
Oct 21, 2016
Cowl hood, or maybe it sat around with the hood off or open?

yes it has a cowl hood on it, but based on what i see the rain isnt gettin in the engine compt. it is possible that the hood was off... not really sure , the guy i got it from got it from the original owner who had it as a show car or what not.

also it had the carb and air cleaner on it i pulled it down to this cause I was curious before i pulled the motor/ while waiting for parts for the LS to come in,

6spdg37s

Master Mechanic
Oct 21, 2016
was hoping to get to pull the 305 out but haven't gotten a chance maybe sometime in the upcoming week. I would like to clean up the engine bay before I swap the new motor in.

6spdg37s

Master Mechanic
Oct 21, 2016
Decided to pull the motor tonight with a few of my friends...

15137530_10100175993564752_7771844184527873131_o.jpg

next up is to clean up the engine compartment

have a couple of questions i will post in here before I make a thread for them ...

the factory harness...what do I need / don't I need out of it... it appears that 2-3 wires run thru the driver side firewall and down to where the starter once was... 1 of these wires is broken... I assume that is the ignition key on and cranking the starter function.

what else do I need to run the MSD LS box on my carb motor ?

I would like to trim down the wire harness as much as possible to clean up the compartment

also how easy is it to pull the front clip off of this car? I feel like it would make cleaning up the engine compartment and possibly painting it much easier?

thanks-

• Winner
Reactions: 1 user

6spdg37s

Master Mechanic
Oct 21, 2016
some other observations with this car is the previous owner did alot of work to it but really odd stuff...

-he had an oil filter relocation kit, to the fender, he had a trans filter kit ran into the fender, then he had dual coolers for each mentioned.

the ground wire was under the valve cover so i had to pull it and the motor has these crazy huge 1.5 rocker arms and it had an edelbrock manifold but then had the stock carb on it, the exhaust was custom but had a cat in it. looks to be an aftermarket trans pan , aluminum with a drain plug. not sure if the converter was stock or not

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor