My long term build

Status
Not open for further replies.

shadyduk1979

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 30, 2005
bellingham, ma
Took a long weekend last week and got a fair amount done. Most of it not anything picture worthy. Securing wires and lines.

But first a word of warning on inline tube. They appear to make great stuff and I'm sure most of it is, but God help you if there is a issue. I bought my stuff about a year ago. Checked everything and it all looked ok. So I put it away. Fast forward to present day and I find slightly off center flares, and braided steel brake lines that snap if you look at them funny. I flared the pre bent master cylinder line to at least get the car stopping. Looks like crap but I assumed a big company like that would be happy to send out a new line with proof it was a failure on their end.

Then with the braided line that snapped frightenly easy. So I asked for 2 new lines the master cylinder line and the broken braided steel one. That's a rivet in there to stop the fluid from pouring out.

The answer I got? You can have them as long as you buy them. We will give you a discount though. Real nice. Sell me defective stuff and then offer to sell me new parts. No thank you.

I test fit the nose and was hoping to mount the modules for the ls, but I only have a poor condition passenger side one. Looks like new liners are in my future.

I got the rear end back and stabbed that back in. I was hoping I had a driveshaft that would work, but it was 5 inches short. So off to the junkyard I went and got a 70 some inch aluminum one from a Chevy 3500. I'll get that cut down and balanced.

I also mocked up the rear brakes to see just how far I need to move my shocks. I really wish now I went with a 20 inch rear wheel. It would have completely filled the big wheelwell.

Reactions: 3 users

shadyduk1979

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 30, 2005
bellingham, ma
Got some more stuff done. I was away last week and with easter I didn't get a ton done but here is where I am at. I ordered new brakes lines from right stuff and flexable lines from stop tech and got those installed.

I also installed the e brake handle and cables I grabbed from a 2000 camaro.

The fit real nice after I made new brackets and installed them.

I'm going to be getting my driveshaft cut and balanced this week as well as going to the junkyard for new inner fender liners and a few odds and ends. After that and a few more things get buttoned up I'll have a running and driving car again.

Reactions: 1 user

shadyduk1979

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 30, 2005
bellingham, ma
As we move into independence day weekend, it's time for a update. I haven't been doing a ton to the car lately that is picture worthy but I did get it to a point where it now runs and drives. It felt real good to drive it after all this time. I'm running a 4 inch aluminum driveshaft out of a pickup that I had shortened.
I also strapped my BMW to a dyno. 7psi, 283 wheel. 26psi where the car usually is I put down 410 wheel and 44psi right at the hairy edge of what I can fuel right now and the turbo can flow I put down 595 wheel. Not bad in a 1800lb car
First daylight under its own power after 15 years

She was all interested in going for a ride until she realized the floor vibrated like crazy.

The fleet all together. All of my cars run.

• Winner
Reactions: 3 users

zdeckich

Master Mechanic
Jun 23, 2013
Fort Worth, TX
Looking good!! I want those exact wheels on my 78 wagon. the gray centers and all. Looks very good. What was the back spacing on the wheels? did you have to run a spacer or cut anything to get them to fit?

Last edited:

shadyduk1979

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 30, 2005
bellingham, ma
I believe they are just +1 18x9.5 rear 18x8 up front. I did roll my rear quarters but I don't think I had to. I would just rather do it now vs after paint. If I did it over I would go with a 20x10 rear wheel. I think it would have fit just fine. At the time I was worried it might rub and I don't want that at all on my cars.

Reactions: 1 users

zdeckich

Master Mechanic
Jun 23, 2013
Fort Worth, TX
I believe they are just +1 18x9.5 rear 18x8 up front. I did roll my rear quarters but I don't think I had to. I would just rather do it now vs after paint. If I did it over I would go with a 20x10 rear wheel. I think it would have fit just fine. At the time I was worried it might rub and I don't want that at all on my cars.

Ok cool. You have any pics of the car from the side, id like to see how flush they sit with the body of the car. And no rubbing with the 275/35's?

shadyduk1979

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 30, 2005
bellingham, ma
Ok cool. You have any pics of the car from the side, id like to see how flush they sit with the body of the car. And no rubbing with the 275/35's?
Sorry for the delay. Here in Massachusetts the state has possibly killed the automotive hobby with the new inspection rules. I haven't really touched my Camino since independence day weekend. I have been enjoying the BMW just in case it is no longer drivable next year when it is up for state inspection.

I plan on doing some work to the car this weekend. I'll get some pics up then. I also had a buddy pick up a 84 Hurst olds for short money recently, his sn is tillrock. That has stirred the desire to work on the car again. Ill try to get it together and primered before the snow flies.

Definitely hurts to continue building a car I cannot drive because of where we live.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor