My new Hurst Project

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andebe

Greasemonkey
Mar 6, 2017
Indiana
Welcome from Indiana. Great G-Body project you got there,let the modding begin!

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
My pleasure my friend, and keep us updated on you project!

Reactions: 1 user

Tillrock

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 21, 2017
Northeast
So I drove the Hurst home tonight; it's longest ride yet. It felt great to open it up on the freeway. Ran extremely hot; when I got home, I realized the coolant was leaking out. No big deal. A hose piece had rotted out. However, after getting the thing home, I do feel a little overwhelmed. Is that normal?
Hurst Lights.jpg

Reactions: 2 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
So I drove the Hurst home tonight; it's longest ride yet. It felt great to open it up on the freeway. Ran extremely hot; when I got home, I realized the coolant was leaking out. No big deal. A hose piece had rotted out. However, after getting the thing home, I do feel a little overwhelmed. Is that normal? View attachment 74784
Totally normal. Welcome to the site from Houston. That's a cool ride. Good luck with it. That $10k figure with someone else doing all the work is realistic.

• Agree

Tillrock

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 21, 2017
Northeast
Ok, so at least some progress this weekend in between other work. I replaced all of the coolant and radiator hoses, flushed the system, replaced the grimy old Fram air filter with a K&N (as seen in the picture), replaced the thermostat, and removed and thoroughly cleaned the cast iron thermostat housing. It was pretty grimy. Replaced the gasket, made sure everything was free of debris and gunk. Since my last posting I've decided to keep the 307 in the vehicle. It's made it this far from 1984; I don't want to hack it up. It'd feel wrong. Plus, since bringing this puppy home and beginning it's transition to a fully restored beauty, I feel somewhat of a connection to this car-guts n all.

Also, my gauges currently don't work correctly, so I'm having a hard time with temp. From what I've noticed thus far, the engine seems to run pretty hot. Is this normal? Oil looks good, coolant seems to now be circulating correctly, air flow is good. Maybe I'm just being paranoid. Any input any of you guys have would be much appreciated. I bought an IR thermometer for cheap online, and will have to check it out this week when it's up and running again.
Coolant System Rebuild.jpg

Last question: I'm contemplating either rebuilding or working on the quadrajet, or purchasing a performance carb-as they aren't that pricey. What do you guys think?

Reactions: 1 users

Canon_Mutant

Royal Smart Person
Aug 15, 2015
When properly built and setup, the quadrajet "is" a performance carburetor. They tend to get a bad rap from folks that don't know how to work on them, have had them rebuilt by folks that don't know how to work on them, or when they simply are not set up properly. If the factory ECM is still intact, you are going to want to keep the QJ. Find a reputable shop near you that specializes in quadrajets and you will be glad you did.

Good catch and good luck with it!

• Agree

Tillrock

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 21, 2017
Northeast
Ok, so at least some progress this weekend in between other work. I replaced all of the coolant and radiator hoses, flushed the system, replaced the grimy old Fram air filter with a K&N (as seen in the picture), replaced the thermostat, and removed and thoroughly cleaned the cast iron thermostat housing. It was pretty grimy. Replaced the gasket, made sure everything was free of debris and gunk. Since my last posting I've decided to keep the 307 in the vehicle. It's made it this far from 1984; I don't want to hack it up. It'd feel wrong. Plus, since bringing this puppy home and beginning it's transition to a fully restored beauty, I feel somewhat of a connection to this car-guts n all.

Also, my gauges currently don't work correctly, so I'm having a hard time with temp. From what I've noticed thus far, the engine seems to run pretty hot. Is this normal? Oil looks good, coolant seems to now be circulating correctly, air flow is good. Maybe I'm just being paranoid. Any input any of you guys have would be much appreciated. I bought an IR thermometer for cheap online, and will have to check it out this week when it's up and running again. View attachment 75161

Last question: I'm contemplating either rebuilding or working on the quadrajet, or purchasing a performance carb-as they aren't that pricey. What do you guys think?
When properly built and setup, the quadrajet "is" a performance carburetor. They tend to get a bad rap from folks that don't know how to work on them, have had them rebuilt by folks that don't know how to work on them, or when they simply are not set up properly. If the factory ECM is still intact, you are going to want to keep the QJ. Find a reputable shop near you that specializes in quadrajets and you will be glad you did.

Good catch and good luck with it!
Thanks! I've heard the same from a couple of other G body guys, so I think I'll keep the qaud.

Tillrock

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 21, 2017
Northeast
Ok guys, so I'm updating the build thread. Not much going on except for the fact that the car no longer starts. I think the starter went, and tried replacing it to no success on Saturday. I'm going to make another attempt this weekend with a couple of buddies of mine; I think there may be a problem with the wiring/electric.

Anyways, I know you guys like pictures, so I'm adding some below. I need to get it running before my wife and I move next week. Would hate to have it towed somewhere.

Still contemplating pulling an Olds 403 out of a 79 Trans Am I have available and having it rebuilt for the Hurst. Not that I dislike the 307...but it's just so slow.

I'll keep you all updated as I get the car running, and begin work on the interior. If anyone knows any good body guys/paint folks in Massachusetts, throw suggestions my way.

Attachments

• Hurst backside.jpg
    Hurst backside.jpg
    640.6 KB · Views: 220
  • Hurst Interior 1.jpg
    Hurst Interior 1.jpg
    642.8 KB · Views: 212
  • Hurst chrome wheels.jpg
    Hurst chrome wheels.jpg
    914.7 KB · Views: 236
  • Hurst side 1.jpg
    Hurst side 1.jpg
    730 KB · Views: 230
Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor