My solution to stripped sway bar bolts. Yes it's overkill.

Status
Not open for further replies.

V6UnderPressure

Greasemonkey
Jul 7, 2008
New Lenox, IL
First off, let me begin by saying I had no intention of doing this until I was virtually screwed. But I wouldn't do it any other way if I had to go back.

I had purchased a Hotchkis TVS kit. Upon installation, I realized that the bolts they provided were 3/8 and not metric after it was too late. They go in somewhat fine, then when I go to torque them down, they start to spin. No worries, helicoil to the rescue. I drilled/tapped and then inserted the helicoil. All was well until you went to torque the bolts down. The helicoil starts turning with the bolt. Lost cause there when all was said and done. I've read about nutserts, etc. By that time I finally decided to come up with something better(better in my own opinion). So I drilled out each hole to 9/16" and designed this:

Now my sister in law is a CAD designer, so she had put this in a drawing for me. After searching for someone to make one, I came across Mike E a member on Turbobuick.com. Before I go any further, I'd like to give a huge shoutout to Mike as he obviously helped create my vision. It's fellow TurboBuick members like him that are worth their weight in gold to the community.

Anyhow, past the mushy stuff.

Mike got the parts done and sent them on their way. The plan was to set these inserts in the hole, and then use a 3/8 self-locking flange nut on the other end of the bolts. As you can see by the photo, the inserts sit flush across the bottom and give WAY more support than the stock bolts alone had. I know some are thinking "why not just use a washer" The reason for this is that I did not want any play at all in the bracket.

Now, to go back to why I went 9/16 with the hole size. I had to go to 9/16 to completely remove any metal that is protruding upwards from the old threads and make the inside of the frame smooth. Here is a photo of it mounted on the passenger side. FYI, I did this by myself although having another hand to hold the bar is always a help:

By now, I am sure you are thinking, "how is he going to get at the passenger side?" This next part is trivial, but after measuring and eyeballing about 10 times, I decided to go for it. No turning back now. First thing that was determined was that wherever I drilled, I would need to get a wrench there. That factored big into my decision on where to drill. Remember, measure twice, cut once. I measured in the center between the two lower power steering mounting bolts. I drilled a pilot hole with a smaller bit, and then went to a unibit (also called a step bit) and worked my way step by step until I had a 1 3/8" hole. There I had perfect access to the rear bolt. I wasn't worried about stability as you can see on the inside that there are welded tubes for reinforcement for the bolts, not to mention the frame is boxed in that area. Besides, there are holes all around the front of the frame. This little bit isn't going to hurt anything. The front one was a little trickier. I wanted to go as far up front to keep the holes as far apart as possible, yet close enough to where the wrench can hold the nut. I drilled a similar 1 3/8" hole in that spot as well. At that point, I had full access to where I needed to install the nut. And frankly, it almost looks like those holes came from the factory. See photos:

I

Yes this is probably overkill, but I will never have to worry about these bolts stripping again, and it's as solid as a rock.

Reactions: 1 user

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Re: My solution to stripped sway bar bolts. Yes it's overki

Looks like a neat fix. I ended up using a type of nutsert on a few of them. They were an SAE thread, I re-tapped them metric.
I'll probably do the rest that way. Not discounting what you did. You did a nice job on them.
I'm surprised that GM never backed them up with a nut welded inside the frame, or a heavier piece of metal welded in and threaded.

V6UnderPressure

Greasemonkey
Jul 7, 2008
New Lenox, IL

Longroof79 said:
Looks like a neat fix. I ended up using a type of nutsert on a few of them. They were an SAE thread, I re-tapped them metric.
I'll probably do the rest that way. Not discounting what you did. You did a nice job on them.
I'm surprised that GM never backed them up with a nut welded inside the frame, or a heavier piece of metal welded in and threaded.

Yep, If they had nuts welded in the frame, it would have been great. And unfortunately, there really is no true way to weld nuts in there yourself being that its boxed. I was gonna do nutserts, but I've read threads where some pulled out/stripped etc. That is why I ended up with this.

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl

I have used the "nut and bolt" approach as well. You're right, you can't weld a nut inside the frame even with the porthole access on the side.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario

Longroof79 said:
I have used the "nut and bolt" approach as well. You're right, you can't weld a nut inside the frame even with the porthole access on the side.

you could weld it if you use a stick, or cut an opening in the frame and weld it closed after you weld the nut, or think about how often you remove the sway bar and have a beer instead of getting out the welder... 8)

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl

pontiacgp said:
Longroof79 said:

you could weld it if you use a stick, or cut an opening in the frame and weld it closed after you weld the nut, or think about how often you remove the sway bar and have a beer instead of getting out the welder... 8)
You're right about using a stick, Steve. ...or cutting a larger opening in the frame. I'd be happy to be able to tack weld the nuts in place, just enough to keep them from spinning.
You're right again about the amount of times the sway bar will be on and off.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario

or you can use a nut plate

ms21049.GIF

and install it with a countersunk rivet so it will be flush with the frame

headimg2290.jpg

86 Grand prix

Master Mechanic
Nov 13, 2012
Chocowinity NC

[quote="pontiacgp
you could weld it if you use a stick, or cut an opening in the frame and weld it closed after you weld the nut, or think about how often you remove the sway bar and have a beer instead of getting out the welder... 8)[/quote]

Its a lost art bending a welding rod and blind welding around a corner. I have done it with a mirror.
What's a stick welder? :blam:

86 Grand prix

Master Mechanic
Nov 13, 2012
Chocowinity NC

I was a pipe welder once upon a time but I don't even own a stick machine now. I use an Esab 250 wire machine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor