Need Help! 400 SBC Question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Are you actually out $6800? What would it cost to walk away?

Reactions: 1 user

Turbo Zach

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 8, 2015
That is outrageous for what it sounds like you got. You could have bought a crate engine and been money ahead. Maybe you guys need to ship your parts to Iowa to get machined? Around here a machinist stands behind there work. It is there name and reputation on the line.

Reactions: 1 users

Jester84H/O

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 11, 2018
Maryland
Are you actually out $6800? What would it cost to walk away?

To date I paid $5,500 and owe him a balance of $1,300 when I go to pick up the vehicle.

I will have $6,800 into the engine build that does not have steam holes. I will need to spend more money around $800 + to have the heads removed, drilled and reinstalled after I get it from him. Grand total $7,600 ish

• Sad

Jester84H/O

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 11, 2018
Maryland
That is outrageous for what it sounds like you got. You could have bought a crate engine and been money ahead. Maybe you guys need to ship your parts to Iowa to get machined? Around here a machinist stands behind there work. It is there name and reputation on the line.

I feel you lol. I got taken to the cleaners.

I want to clarify.. the engine builder is the one that ripped me off. He sends his work out to be machined.

The machinist I called to get the quotes are not affiliated with him. There are the “good guys “ so to speak in this nightmare.

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Did you get a written quote & paper work on what was done? There should be some issues with being charged for new parts & end up getting a lesser or used parts for that same price. Since he has your car he could nail a mechanics lean on it if you don't pay up. Couldn't hurt to get some legal advice as long as you have all your paper work, quote & receipts of what was paid for. A idea to save some coin would be pulling the heads & reinstalling them yourself. But depending on your skill level you may still need a hired wrench to get it finished.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

carnutjw

G-Body Guru
Sep 17, 2017
Ouch! Ditto on the written quote? and paper work for build? Good luck finding an attorney who even knows you're speaking English when you start talking engines/components. Maybe a written warranty for X miles/months from "builder"? In my opinion, that guy sucks. If it falls apart, roast him on Facebook (or however you got hooked up with him).

Reactions: 1 users

Jester84H/O

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 11, 2018
Maryland
Did you get a written quote & paper work on what was done? There should be some issues with being charged for new parts & end up getting a lesser or used parts for that same price. Since he has your car he could nail a mechanics lean on it if you don't pay up. Couldn't hurt to get some legal advice as long as you have all your paper work, quote & receipts of what was paid for. A idea to save some coin would be pulling the heads & reinstalling them yourself. But depending on your skill level you may still need a hired wrench to get it finished.

The man is clever.. not his first rodeo. I’m looking up his record as we speak (md case search) and someone just won a judgement against him for 19k. Apparently he has screwed other people over.

Unfortunately, I was new and he never committed to anything in writing. I don’t want to get to in depth because I’m seeing this turning into a lawsuit.

kornball426

Royal Smart Person
May 29, 2009
Philadelphia, PA.
Taking him to court is probably not worth it... Any decent lawyer is going to charge at least a few hundred dollars an hour. By the time you get a judgement even if it goes your way, you'll be lucky if your legal fees don't exceed the cost of the engine. Unless you can get an attorney that understands the case, basically assures you that he can get your money back, and will get the guy to pay for your legal expenses, and if he loses you won't be responsible for paying the bill.

Which I'm sorry to say, is pretty unlikely.

Might scare the guy though if he gets a call from a lawyer... He might be a little more accommodating, maybe refund, or just give you your engine without having to pay his $1,300 extortion money for an uncompleted job that he conned you into paying too much for in the first place.

Jester84H/O

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 11, 2018
Maryland
Taking him to court is probably not worth it... Any decent lawyer is going to charge at least a few hundred dollars an hour. By the time you get a judgement even if it goes your way, you'll be lucky if your legal fees don't exceed the cost of the engine. Unless you can get an attorney that understands the case, basically assures you that he can get your money back, and will get the guy to pay for your legal expenses, and if he loses you won't be responsible for paying the bill.

Which I'm sorry to say, is pretty unlikely.

Might scare the guy though if he gets a call from a lawyer... He might be a little more accommodating, maybe refund, or just give you your engine without having to pay his $1,300 extortion money for an uncompleted job that he conned you into paying too much for in the first place.

I know exactly what you mean. Trying to explain this to a few attorneys offices today was exhausting.

The good thing for me is I looked him up on Maryland Case Search. In Maryland any legal proceeding is public information. I found a case where he had to pay a client almost $20,000! I got the attorneys name that won the case against him. The attorney will be familiar with him and how are you operates.

I’m definitely going to make an appointment and see if I have a case at least.

Reactions: 5 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor