New house

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
Nice !!! I have a 45K BTU Modine Hot Dawg in my 22x30 garage. Best thing I ever did. Now I keep the thermostat at around 45-50 throughout the winter. When I go out there to work crank it up to 65 until its warm enough to work in a tee shirt. Too many years of freezing my butt off and not being able to paint stuff out there.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
Nice !!! I have a 45K BTU Modine Hot Dawg in my 22x30 garage. Best thing I ever did. Now I keep the thermostat at around 45-50 throughout the winter. When I go out there to work crank it up to 65 until its warm enough to work in a tee shirt. Too many years of freezing my butt off and not being able to paint stuff out there.
Sqft I only needed the 50k btu, but when you open the door and flush all the warm out, it takes FOREVER for it to heat back up. I know all about short cycle times causing issues , but garage isn't sealed up tight like the house, to go from 30° today to 65° took about 30 mins. Should be good to go.
And yes, I agree, I'm too old to be freezing my butt off in the garage!

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
Sqft I only needed the 50k btu, but when you open the door and flush all the warm out, it takes FOREVER for it to heat back up. I know all about short cycle times causing issues , but garage isn't sealed up tight like the house, to go from 30° today to 65° took about 30 mins. Should be good to go.
And yes, I agree, I'm too old to be freezing my butt off in the garage!
I insulated my garage the year before I bought the heater. Did all the interior walls in T-111. Sheetrock ceiling and insulated doors. Its pretty tight. I also bought the heater with the sealed combustion chamber that draws the air from outside. It was a small amount more but I got a great deal on the heater through a guy I know. His son worked at the distributor. Dont really worry about painting out there anymore. I only do small jobs anyway.
Im hoping to put some paint on the walls next year. Maybe even change the lights over to LEDs and get the floor done in a gray epoxy. Since we made the decison to stay in this house we took out a home improvement loan a few months ago. Just before the rates went crazy. My house was paid for at least 16 years ago. Got the roofs on the house and garage redone. New 10x14 shed for the back yard. In March the front porch will be getting torn apart. New T&G composite floor, new door and board and batten walls. All the things that needed to be redone that we held off doing since we planned on leaving NY. We might regret that in a few years. Hopefully the deck and siding will get done too. Gotta see how much $$ is left after each job. LOL

Tomeal

G-Body Guru
Apr 17, 2016
Clyde,pa
Streetbu you running it off natural gas or propane? I'd be curious what your consumption would be. We both have similar weather.

Reactions: 1 user

Streetbu

Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
Streetbu you running it off natural gas or propane? I'd be curious what your consumption would be. We both have similar weather.
Propane. I have three working wells within a mile of me, but no lines near our house 🤬 I'm running it off a 100lb tank for now. I have three of them, leftovers from our old house. When I used the fuel oil furnace, I kept the temp as low as the thermostat would go, about 42°. Then raise to about 65° while working. Would go about a week on 5 gallons. Diesel, which is what I was using, has a heat content of 139k btu/gal. Propane heat content is about 92k btu/gal. But.... I'm 100% positive the old forced air furnace was not as efficient as this heater is. I expect it to be similar though. I have a feeling ill be swapping tanks just under once a month. Which for $60 including tax to fill, is MUCH cheaper than paying the current price for Diesel.
So for roughly $300 I should be able to heat my garage all winter. To 42° when I'm not out there to keep stuff from freezing, to 65° when I'm working. Next year will be insulation in the ceiling. Possibly spray foam just like the house. That would be awesome but who knows how much they are going to rape me for it. Probably just a pipe dream

Ugly1

Royal Smart Person
Oct 26, 2021
Lost in the woods of NH
Propane. I have three working wells within a mile of me, but no lines near our house 🤬 I'm running it off a 100lb tank for now. I have three of them, leftovers from our old house. When I used the fuel oil furnace, I kept the temp as low as the thermostat would go, about 42°. Then raise to about 65° while working. Would go about a week on 5 gallons. Diesel, which is what I was using, has a heat content of 139k btu/gal. Propane heat content is about 92k btu/gal. But.... I'm 100% positive the old forced air furnace was not as efficient as this heater is. I expect it to be similar though. I have a feeling ill be swapping tanks just under once a month. Which for $60 including tax to fill, is MUCH cheaper than paying the current price for Diesel.
So for roughly $300 I should be able to heat my garage all winter. To 42° when I'm not out there to keep stuff from freezing, to 65° when I'm working. Next year will be insulation in the ceiling. Possibly spray foam just like the house. That would be awesome but who knows how much they are going to rape me for it. Probably just a pipe dream
Sounds like a little midnight digging for pipe with a ditch witch and a gas company magnet logo on the truck. “ Nothing to see here folks! Just he gas company!😏😎

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

Streetbu

Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
Reviving this old thread. Time to kick some projects back into gear.
When we built the place we had to cut back on somethings to trim the budget. One of them were stairs off the deck into the back yard. It's a pain not having them, and we're going to be throwing a big party in the end of June. So it's time for me to get moving.
First issue I had was one corner of the deck had settled 3/4". This would've made the stairs out of whack and uncomfortable. I was able to remove the screws from the headers and jack them up that much, and reinstall the 6" timber screws.
Next step was measure my rise, to get my run and see where the steps would land approximately. Which leads to me tonight. Dug into the ground after I marked it out and built the form for yet another concrete pad. This will act as an initial step from the yard and place for the stringers to sit on. Need to secure it more and double check level again. Then I can pour hopefully this Saturday morning.

20230412_202115.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 9 users

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
Reviving this old thread. Time to kick some projects back into gear.
When we built the place we had to cut back on somethings to trim the budget. One of them were stairs off the deck into the back yard. It's a pain not having them, and we're going to be throwing a big party in the end of June. So it's time for me to get moving.
First issue I had was one corner of the deck had settled 3/4". This would've made the stairs out of whack and uncomfortable. I was able to remove the screws from the headers and jack them up that much, and reinstall the 6" timber screws.
Next step was measure my rise, to get my run and see where the steps would land approximately. Which leads to me tonight. Dug into the ground after I marked it our and built the form for yet another concrete pad. This will act as an initial step from the yard and place for the stringers to sit on. Need to secure it more, rear, and double check level again. Then can pour hopefully this Saturday morning.

View attachment 219123
From experience, and looking at that roof pitch orientation, we're you going to consider sinking a narrow concrete tube halfway between deck and platform to put a short wooden post to support the string at the midpoint so that as the heavy snow slides down and hits it it doesn't stress the assembly?

Reactions: 1 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor