New personal best!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clipclop80

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 9, 2021
I'm not knocking anybody's sense of responsibility, but I think it's AWESOME! Hell the speed limit here on a LOT of Texas highways, is 85mph, which as you guessed it people drive 100mph on them all day long for an extended period, while talking on the phone, eating, etc.. Why criticize the man, for stretching his car's legs a little. We weren't there... there may have nobody on that stretch of road for miles.
Thanks for that! there was exactly NO traffic within sight on a 3 mile long straight. If I read the post from someone else I may have had the same reaction by being critical.
It was within my appetite for risk- which is not normally very high. If the worst damage was some hurt feelings on the forum, that's that.
After spending thousands on all poly suspension, engine and trans mounts, UMI suspension parts, and wilwood disc brakes, Etc. Its not some teeth-gritting, wheel squeezing scare fest.
Its a street car which 99% of the time gets babied.

Reactions: 1 user

lilbowtie

Comic Book Super Hero
Jan 7, 2006
Canton Mi
OMG yes I was totally out of control, scared to death 50 yr old. PFFFT...nothing to prove.
why build something you can't test off the track once in a while?

First and for most it's against the law. You are not in a controlled environment and you haven't got a clue of what situation might arise, and going 180 ft/sec w/no time to react. If you are going to build a car to go fast that you would include the safety equipment to do so. Ungn who is a member here and belongs to the Sandhills Open Road Challenge had an accident at a sanctioned event a few years back and if his car wasn't built properly he (and his son) wouldn't' be with us. All of us like to exercise are machines now and then - do it safely and responsibly. Not trying to rag on you - just concerned. That's a beautiful car.

grand-prix-before-and-after-2.jpg

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

Clipclop80

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 9, 2021
First and for most it's against the law. You are not in a controlled environment and you haven't got a clue of what situation might arise, and going 180 ft/sec w/no time to react. If you are going to build a car to go fast that you would include the safety equipment to do so. Ungn who is a member here and belongs to the Sandhills Open Road Challenge had an accident at a sanctioned event a few years back and if his car wasn't built properly he (and his son) wouldn't' be with us. All of us like to exercise are machines now and then - do it safely and responsibly. Not trying to rag on you - just concerned. That's a beautiful car.

View attachment 176986
100%

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
I'm not knocking anybody's sense of responsibility, but I think it's AWESOME! Hell the speed limit here on a LOT of Texas highways, is 85mph, which as you guessed it people drive 100mph on them all day long for an extended period, while talking on the phone, eating, etc.. Why criticize the man, for stretching his car's legs a little. We weren't there... there may have nobody on that stretch of road for miles.
I have to admit that I forget bout someone being a flat lander. WE are lucky to have a 1/2 mile sight distance locally, let alone a flat.

I just got a wifey lecture about launch tuning on an on ramp and not going over 70mph lol. And I agreed in the end.

And we don't have any speed limit over 65mph. I have to admit that I've never been on a road with an 85mph speed limit, and I have to say that I'd not be on it much for one reason - trucks.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: 1 user

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
I have to admit that I forget bout someone being a flat lander. WE are lucky to have a 1/2 mile sight distance locally, let alone a flat.

I just a wifey lecture about launch tuning on an on ramp and not going over 70mph lol. And I agreed in the end.

And we don't have any speed limit over 65mph. I have to admit that I've never been on a road with an 85mh speed limit, and I have to say that I'd not be on it much for one reason - trucks.
I wouldn't think line of sight is the entire issue, nor is the speed limit. I'd say neither mitigates the risk or problem.

End of the day, a car that wipes out leaves a debris field. So, lets look at some other issues.

Lets assume if someone doesn't see anyone ahead of them, drives like a reckless @$$hole, they lose control of the car, it rolls, and it tosses debris in their lane? Or, in the opposite side of the highway? At 85mph, or whatever the speed limit is, can the other driver see bits of debris thay should never be there otherwise to avoid it without wrecking themselves? And if that other innocent driver, they cut a tire down, or lose control trying to avoid something, and die or permanently injured themselves or another, what then?

So what if some idiot in a newer car that has less high speed issues due to more modern design and technology drives 15mph over the limit? Does that excuse an even bigger @$$hole from driving 40MPH over the limit with inferior technology?

If I take a six shooter, put one bullet in the cylinder, spin it, then drive around pulling the trigger out the window and no shot goes off... does that make it any less reckless? Or any better an idea?

General rule of thumb is if you double your speed, you triple your stopping distance. So consider that for a second as well.

If two vehicles are coming opposite directions, at 85mph limit each way, your closing speed is 170mph, or, a mile in just over 20 seconds. A car losing control and flipping will easily roll that long. If one guy is going 125 and the other is going 85, then they close at 210mph. In 60 seconds the two cars close 3.5 miles of distance between them. So, a car could be half mile outside of sight and you've got less than 60 seconds before they meet. 3 miles doesn't sound so far now does it?

Perhaps better question: whats the point in engaging in ILLEGAL highly dangerous, reckless behavior then bragging about it with no redeeming reason or excuse other than being starved for attention? It supports stereotypes as hotrodders and car enthusiasts as being dangerous to those around them and fodder as to why the hobby should be curtailed or eliminated.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
ck80
I can't say that I condone it, agree with it or anything else for that matter. But I'm not going to be a hypocrite and say that I've never done it either. But I do try to refrain.

Please have mercy on my soul.

I can't speak for the OP, but I'm an addict and I am trying to kick the habit. Damn boost anyway - smh.

• Agree
  • Haha
Reactions: 5 users

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
ck80
I can't say that I condone it, agree with it or anything else for that matter. But I'm not going to be a hypocrite and say that I've never done it either. But I do try to refrain.

Please have mercy on my soul.

I can't speak for the OP, but I'm an addict and I am trying to kick the habit. Damn boost anyway - smh.
64nailhead
I think it's all a matter of perspective.

You ask 100 people whats the harm in driving home after having a 4 or 5 beers with dinner, people will have a range of reactions spanning the extremes from admitting to having done so, up through saying they don't condone or agree with those who do so on so forth until the far other end you have the MADD crowd and/or those who either lost/saw injuries to someone they knew who was hit by a drunk driver. Much stronger, less tolerance reactions vs a no harm no foul approach.

Myself? I admit to a strong reaction to someone bragging about blatantly illegal and reckless behavior on public roads like this which, if observed by an officer is pretty much going to lead to an arrest, even more so these days.

I'd presume that if, god forbid, you, or someone important to you, was injured, permanently disabled, or killed by someone "who thought it was safe" but wound up being wrong due to their recklessness maybe your tolerance or forcefulness of condemnation would change. I know mine did.

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor