Newbie 88 Monte Carlo LS

Status
Not open for further replies.

LT1 Monte

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 3, 2009
Newbie and I picked up an 88 today...

I plan to do an engine swap etc but first I have a couple basic questions...

First it is an 88 with a CARB? I thought 87 and 88 had TBI, this is a problem since I plan to use an FI motor and need to be able to use in tank fuel pump... question is where is best source for Fuel injection tank?

Second is there a car I can take an 8.5 differential from to 'drop' in an 88 Monte Carlo?

I plan to do a twin turbo 350 with a 4L80E so wanted to make it stout from the start.

Thanks for any help
Jack

If it's a V6, it's a TBI. The V8's are carbed.

I didn't know any had carbs in 88.
So then a tank from a V6 will have an in tank pump?

I found a GN tank on ebay for ~$160 shipped

Now the remaining problem for high power seems to be the rearend I see many use an 8.8 I thought a 8.5 was available but...

Always something just happened on the day I picked the car up is what pisses me off..oh well I wil recover

How much power do you really plan to make? If you're under 500hp on a street driven car, a prepped 7.5 will be fine.

I am rethinking the project and may lower the power or change the rearend. I originally thought Monte Carlos all had 8.5 then thought since mine is an LS that only it had 7.5 so this is a major change to what options I thought I had.

I bought the car so I will be doing an engine/transmission transplant just considering my options. This was going to be a stout street car that I didn't have problems with...a 7.5 as most say is a time bomb so now my approach my have to change.

I could simply put an LT1 with 4L60E in with a mild cam I could go 8/12.7 and that might be a compromise I take I just don't know at this point.

Most of the people that call it a timebomb, weak, etc. are people that have broken a bone stock unit after applying extra power to it, or those who haven't done a lot of research on how fast a G-Body has actually gone. Guys have been into the low 11s on them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor