Newbie Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Qdub24

Royal Smart Person
Sep 6, 2006
Columbus, GA
I bought a Buick 455 to replace the 305 SBC currently in my 85 Cutlass. Can I use use springs from a 70's model Cutlass, w/a Big Block, on my car? :?:

When I remove the vinyl tops, should I get the rear window molding clips from gbodyparts.com? Do I need the chrome trim that goes around the rear window? If so, can anybody help me find enough for two rear windows? :?:

Last question, how much horsepower is an Olds 403 good for? :?: That is what is in my other Cutlass, but I haven't started working on it yet. I have a ton of parts from the Olds 307 that came out of my stolen Cutlass that I'm using on the 403.

Any advice/help would be greatly appreciated. 8)

GP403

Administrator
Site Admin
Feb 25, 2005
Rolla, MO
Hey Q, welcome to the site!

Not sure how much HP the 403 is good for. Probably good for more torque than HP. (that's where the fun is anyhow! :evil:) On mine the stock intake's been replaced with an Edelbrock, and added the dual exhaust. Seems to help things immensely over the stock (restrictive) setup. They were only rated for what, not even 200HP (like 175 or something) from the factory, so keep that in mind.

As for the springs, I don't think the old A-body springs will work. Try to find a set from a A/G-wagon or a MCSS/442/etc. they'll be stiffer. You'll probably want a set of coil-over load handler shocks in the front to hold that big engine up, too.

Qdub24

Royal Smart Person
Sep 6, 2006
Columbus, GA
Thanks. :D I currently have Gabriel Load Carrier Shocks w/Spring Assist on one of my cars all the way around. I got them from Autozone and they were pretty cheap. They ride great too. :lol:

I currently have duals on my '85 Cutlass. The '83 still has the factory single exhaust, but the place that did my duals said I would get a discount on my next car and a bigger discount if my cousin takes his Monte Carlo there and says that I sent him. :lol:

As for that 403, isn't that about the same amount of horsepower a SBC 305 makes? :?: If that's the case, I'll pull the 403 and sell it, and drop in the Buick 455 in its place. :idea:

383Camino

Master Mechanic
Mar 1, 2006
South Dakota
For sure drop in that Buick. That was my dream when the 355 went bad in my car. Dad decided that would be too much power (I was 17). So look what I ended up with...a 400hp 383. Go figure.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
the difference of the weight of the 455 compared to the 305 is not as much as you might think....

"The Buick 455 was one of the first "thin-wall casting" engine blocks, and weighs significantly less than other engines of comparable size (for example, 150 lbs less than a Chevrolet 454)"

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor