Newbie with ambitions of a five speed elky!

Status
Not open for further replies.

awesome79elky

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 10, 2006
arkansas
hello
my name is james and i am new to this forum.
i have a particular mission for my 70 elky, and that is to convert it to a T5 five speed transmission. any advice from some of you seasoned vets would greatly appreciated.

Jman

Greasemonkey
Jan 4, 2006
Ontario
Welcome aboard

Did you say 5speed? You will love it. I put a 5 speed in my Monte and its awesome. But now I want a 6 speed lol. If you do the swap I'll help you out any way I can.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
nice to have you with us.... :D

I'm sure you'll have fun and find this board real helpful....this board has not only helped me with answers to questions but has given me ideas I havn't thought of....speaking of one

Jman...what 5 speed transmission did you install?....and is it an automatic?

Jman

Greasemonkey
Jan 4, 2006
Ontario
pontiacgp said:
Jman...what 5 speed transmission did you install?....and is it an automatic?

I'm usiing the complete drive train out of an 88 Trans-amGTA. I swapped in the Tunedport 305 and the 5speed manual trans.
Is there such a thing as a 5speed auto?
The late 80's and early 90's 5 speeds are World Class, meaning they are stronger then the earlier years. I'm in the hunt now for a 6 speed :mrgreen:

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Jman said:
Is there such a thing as a 5 speed auto?

Jman...the vettes have had 6 speed autos for a while and I was hoping that you had found a 5 speed auto that you set up for your SS....

Jman

Greasemonkey
Jan 4, 2006
Ontario
Hmmm didn't know that. I think the auto would take away the fun of rowing the gears. lol.

pontiacgp I see you are from KW. Thats only about half hour from me. 8)

awesome79elky

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 10, 2006
arkansas
i haven't got my 5-speed in yet, but i am going to be using a WC T5 from a 94 camaro with a hydraulic clutch and hydraulic throwout bearing. i am also using a tailshaft from an S-10 T5 to position the shifter in a way that will allow me to keep my factory bench seat. thanks for the replies. i look foward to hearing what information the members of this board will have to offer.
James

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor