Oil Coolers

Status
Not open for further replies.

bracketchev1221

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2018
I think I would also try to find the source of the issue over the symptom. Water temperatures are hot due to combustion in the cylinder head. Oil does not see combustion temperatures and lubricates the bottom end so it should not be that hot. If the oil is picking up 300 degrees of temperature then the parts it is lubricating are generating a ton of heat. A Babbitt bearing should not be seeing more than 300 degrees.

• Informative
Reactions: 1 users

FluoFerret

Greasemonkey
Apr 2, 2018
Luxembourg
I wonder if you are picking up the engine block temperature

that might explain a lot, but that would mean that every available oil measuring sensor isn't really reaching the oil flow, or they were all faulty :unsure: i use the port above the oil filter on my chevy SB.

iains

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 25, 2019
GM made an oil cooler that was common on HD trucks. Part# 15158525

• Useful

Pronto-

Apprentice
Dec 4, 2014
If you really feel you need an oil cooler, why not just use a GN radiator with both the oil and trans cooler in it? Rock Auto part# APD 8010683. Great coolant cooling too.

• Informative
Reactions: 1 user

KCP

Master Mechanic
Oct 11, 2018
Bavaria, Germany
Engine oil coolers do make sense in European traffic where speeds are usually higher than in the US. My daily driver soccer mum mini van (VW Sharan V6) does have an oil temp gauge from factory and while water temps always stay the same (thanks to the thermostat), the oil temps rise between 15-20°C under heavy load, i.e. 100+mph uphill. Both readings on the gauges are backed up by my OBDII reader which usually runs on the Android car stereo.
My El Camino will also get an engine oil cooler and already has an aux. trans cooler in front of the radiator.

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
If you really feel you need an oil cooler, why not just use a GN radiator with both the oil and trans cooler in it? Rock Auto part# APD 8010683. Great coolant cooling too.

Is a GN rad big enough to cool a V8? When my Regal still had its n/a 231, its original rad was much smaller than the MCSS rad I put in for my V8 swap.

FluoFerret

Greasemonkey
Apr 2, 2018
Luxembourg
UPDATE:
I think I found one possibility why my oil runs so hot: the oil filter. It's FRAM PH30, theoretically a correct filter for my car, but its a small one. A bigger model seems to be in order. How I concluded this? Well, I helped my Dad to do some maintenance on his plane (air cooled piston-engine, single). apparently, just because the filter fits on the threads doesn't mean its rated for the pressure given by the pump. in a plane, an oil filter that is too small will heat up the oil by its restrictif flow, that's why for airplanes, the filters have a pressure/volume rating which must be observed.

unfortunately, most oilfilters for car engines don't. i pulled the small fram now and will install the larger one i bought today. what baffled me is that the oil openings are larger compared to the fram. we will see if it helps with the temperatures. an oil change was anyways needed...

Reactions: 3 users

Michael Watts

Master Mechanic
Dec 12, 2017
You can run an aftermarket oil cooler .I used some components from TransDapt .You can use AN fittings with braided and or hard line. And You can also put a temp sensor in the oil pan .My Camaro is supercharged with 15lbs plus of boost. I run a remote dual filter set up and a remote oil cooler .And if things get bad enough you can always use an oil cooler with a fan.

Attachments

• image3.jpg
    image3.jpg
    5.5 MB · Views: 166
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor