Oil Coolers

Status
Not open for further replies.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I would think the oil pressure would be blow 40 at idle with the high temperatures, Are you running a BB oil pump or a high volume?

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
If that engine is still under warranty I would be contacting GM to see if they have any solutions to the high oil temperatures. If the engine is built too tight that can cause the engine to run hot but you would notice that with the coolant temperature

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

iains

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 25, 2019
the oil pressure is about 40psi at idle when full hot. starting and cold, the oil -pressure is around 60psi

Castrol Edge 10w40 full synthetic :)

My understanding is that higher viscosity and higher pressure both tend to heat the oil.

FluoFerret

Greasemonkey
Apr 2, 2018
Luxembourg
If that engine is still under warranty I would be contacting GM to see if they have any solutions to the high oil temperatures. If the engine is built too tight that can cause the engine to run hot but you would notice that with the coolant temperature

unfortunately not. i bought and swapped it into the car back in 2006. a few months back i installed a temp-gauge for the engine and transmission. while the transmission-temp is perfect, the engine-temp bakes my noodle on what and why... what exactly do you mean by "built to tight? not enough clearance/tolerance between moving parts, or just too hot on the camshaft for the OEM-block?

FluoFerret

Greasemonkey
Apr 2, 2018
Luxembourg
My understanding is that higher viscosity and higher pressure both tend to heat the oil.

viscosity is a normal range as required by the engine-manufacturer. higher pressure might be the problem, as i have a high volume oil pump and the FRAM-filter had very small openings. haven't gotten around to bring the car on the road with the K&N-oil-filter, but I am curious if the larger oil-ports in the filter will make a difference.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
unfortunately not. i bought and swapped it into the car back in 2006. a few months back i installed a temp-gauge for the engine and transmission. while the transmission-temp is perfect, the engine-temp bakes my noodle on what and why... what exactly do you mean by "built to tight? not enough clearance/tolerance between moving parts, or just too hot on the camshaft for the OEM-block?

too tight is not enough clearance with the rings and bearings but since you had that engine running since 06 that would not be the problem. If you want to see a tight engine a Formula 1 engine has to have warm oil pumped through it for 1.5 hours before it is started. A cold Formula 1 engine is actually a seized engine.

Reactions: 2 users

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
I think he's referring to tight bearing (and or ring) tolerances.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

iains

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 25, 2019
viscosity is a normal range as required by the engine-manufacturer. higher pressure might be the problem, as i have a high volume oil pump and the FRAM-filter had very small openings. haven't gotten around to bring the car on the road with the K&N-oil-filter, but I am curious if the larger oil-ports in the filter will make a difference.
I’m sorry, I wasn’t implying you were using the incorrect viscosity oil, just expressing a general principle. I too am looking forward to what happens with the K&N

Reactions: 1 users

FluoFerret

Greasemonkey
Apr 2, 2018
Luxembourg
Allright, the larger K&N oil filter did help a little bit, but still, the temperatures are high. I am now putting in a cooler and routing the oil lines
20190729_165641.jpg

For some reason, I thought it to be a good idea to pull the oil filter adapter and check its bypass-valve. Two things:
1) There was no gasket between the adapter and the engine
2) The bypass-valve loos pretty beat up. Compared to a new one I had in stock, I doubt that it should look like this. Right side is the new one, left side the old one.
20190729_173540.jpg

Reactions: 3 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor