Oil Coolers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
If you have the proper clearance, use the larger oil filter. I have to use the smaller type for header clearance. I could also use a remote aluminum adapter to relocate the filter, which can also be used to plumb for an oil cooler.

Reactions: 1 users

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I would probably try a dual remote filter set up first and mount the filters up front to give them access to some cooling plus you can run the large Fram HP1 or equivalent filter which will give you added capacity and the bonus of easy access to remove the filters even on a hot engine.
And if for some reason you still need a cooler it will be easy to plumb inline with the filters.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: 1 user

iains

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 25, 2019
UPDATE:
I think I found one possibility why my oil runs so hot: the oil filter. It's FRAM PH30, theoretically a correct filter for my car, but its a small one. A bigger model seems to be in order. How I concluded this? Well, I helped my Dad to do some maintenance on his plane (air cooled piston-engine, single). apparently, just because the filter fits on the threads doesn't mean its rated for the pressure given by the pump. in a plane, an oil filter that is too small will heat up the oil by its restrictif flow, that's why for airplanes, the filters have a pressure/volume rating which must be observed.

unfortunately, most oilfilters for car engines don't. i pulled the small fram now and will install the larger one i bought today. what baffled me is that the oil openings are larger compared to the fram. we will see if it helps with the temperatures. an oil change was anyways needed...
That is an interesting observation regarding the size of the holes inside the filter. I too have seen just how useless Fram filters are. Mush is not an impressive filtration media. The big block HD truck filters from GM or Wix hold roughly a litre of oil. These are the part numbers:
AC Delco PF932 (2 litre filter)
Wix 51794 tall filter

Reactions: 1 user

FluoFerret

Greasemonkey
Apr 2, 2018
Luxembourg
That is an interesting observation regarding the size of the holes inside the filter. I too have seen just how useless Fram filters are. Mush is not an impressive filtration media. The big block HD truck filters from GM or Wix hold roughly a litre of oil. These are the part numbers:
AC Delco PF932 (2 litre filter)
Wix 51794 tall filter

I bought a K&N oilfilter now. if I measured/calculated correctly, the holes are about 90% larger(!) in diameter, compared to the ones of the Fram filter. not only is the cartridge longer and a little larger, but the flow should definetly be better.

Pronto-

Apprentice
Dec 4, 2014
Is a GN rad big enough to cool a V8? When my Regal still had its n/a 231, its original rad was much smaller than the MCSS rad I put in for my V8 swap.
Absolutely. N/A radiator was small. GN was same size as the Monte. The stocker was actually a little thicker than the Monte...

iains

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 25, 2019
I bought a K&N oilfilter now. if I measured/calculated correctly, the holes are about 90% larger(!) in diameter, compared to the ones of the Fram filter. not only is the cartridge longer and a little larger, but the flow should definetly be better.
Post any changes you note! Real data is much more useful than opinions. At least in my opinion. (See what I did there?)

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

iains

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 25, 2019
Absolutely. N/A radiator was small. GN was same size as the Monte. The stocker was actually a little thicker than the Monte...
Radiator capacity requirements are dependent of power levels, not number of cylinders- although generally v8 engines make more power than v sixes, the GN made a bit more power than the MC/SS, at least that's the word.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
My water temp says 160 to 210 depending on the driving. that's about perfect. the transmission runs between 140 and 165 which is in my eyes perfect too . only the engine oil runs hot. i tried a gauge and temp-sensor from different brand (autometer, VDO and Bosch), and they all tell me the oil is excessively high :unsure:

when your oil is in the 280-300 range what has your oil pressure dropped to

Last edited:

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Not knowing what oil you are currently using have you tried a full synthetic or oil with a higher viscosity?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor