Old School Meets New - Supercharged LSA into Grand National

Status
Not open for further replies.

tobyp

Royal Smart Person
Jun 12, 2011
Cincinnati, Ohio
Re: Old School Meets New - Supercharged LSA into Grand Natio

I guess we can say Hundred Grand National.

Nice work, I thought I spent alot of time and money on my build :shock:

DeltaT

Greasemonkey
Sep 6, 2010

I'm bartering all these parts for baked goods :)

Seriously though, since I'm doing all the work it should come to about half that, including the purchase price of the car.

Jim

DeltaT

Greasemonkey
Sep 6, 2010

These just got here - the RideTech triples I saved up for:

ridetech_triples_f-r-jpg.217052

They are the last major piece I needed for this build. I'll try to get the fronts on this weekend.

Jim

Rasheerh

Master Mechanic
Nov 15, 2007
Cincinnati, oh

Im jealous, nice work

DeltaT

Greasemonkey
Sep 6, 2010

Figuring out where to mount the remote oil reservoirs:

dsc03139_cropped-jpg.217711

A nice feature is that the shock's hoses are covered in a flexible, clear sheath.

dsc03143_cropped-jpg.217712

I need to make sure the hoses have room to move freely as the suspension travels up and down and doesn't touch anything hot or anything that will abrade through it.

In other areas, I have been getting the Moser 12-bolt ready to pull out of the Gray Ghost to put in here.

And I've been slowly working on the porting of the blower case.

Lots of honey-dos right now as she wants the garden planted and some stuff fixed around the house. Plus night school.

Jim

JAWSS

Apprentice
Sep 23, 2009
Ft.Hood, Texas

Keep up the good work Jim, and I surely understand the time monster called honey-do's and school. I really appreciate seeing a good garage build along with real life. Very inspired and motivated!! Nice parts all the way around.

DeltaT

Greasemonkey
Sep 6, 2010

Well, I was getting close to buttoning up the front suspension when this same thing happened to me (this is a picture from SicMonte's (Doug Luce) same lower control arm/Howe ball joint set up):

Picture046-1.jpg

Yep, the ball joint popped out. Turns out that Marcus at SC&C had dealt with this same problem at least back in 2008, which ticks me off. The holes in the SPC arms were designed for the Moog "problem-solver" ball joint which is slightly oversized. The Howe ball joint is the stock size. Sure would have been nice if the problem were fixed by now, or at least tell me when I'm purchasing that extra buck option. Very poor customer skills even if he does know his stuff.

Anyways, had to grind through the powder-coat, grind off some of the Alodyne coating from the ball joint to set it up for welding. My buddy Tom busted out the stainless rod and put in 4 nice spot welds per side:

spc-lca-after-welding-032614-jpg.219392

I cleaned up the part and shot the welds with a couple coats of Chassis Black. Looks OK and the welds have good penetration. Once the weight of the car is on the suspension the lower ball joint is retained anyways. But it would have been at risk anytime I jacked the car, and you know when it would have failed - at least 50 miles from home, probably at a track someplace highly inconvenient.

I decided to paint the firewall so I got some Eastwood Extreme Underhood Black as it is quite resistant to brake fluid and I have dribbled fluid in that area before when bleeding or installing a new MC. So I remove everything (within reason) and clean it well with mineral spirits, then shoot it. Looks good but when it dried it had some fish-eye in it. So I waited a day then lightly sanded the fish-eye areas then shot it again, admittedly on a rainy day (high humidity) when it was like 55F in the garage - all around the edges where I sanded it wrinkled up, plus the fish-eye was still visible. Second round, same outcome, but now the paint looks cheesy around the entire sanded area.

So guess who's stripping their firewall?

dsc03150-jpg.219394

Since this was supposed to be pretty much a quicky install, where I was going to circle back maybe next winter and do a full frame-off, I probably should have put up with a little fish-eye that would have been hidden by the blower.

This is the first pass of the stripping - got a lot of stuff off including a bunch of that hard tar they use as sealant, but I need to go over it at least once more.

I did carefully fold down the body seam from the left side of the bottom of the picture almost over to under where the steering shaft will go. It helps the 4L85E fit in there and presents a smooth surface to pass fuel lines, etc. over. I'll probably fold it down a little bit more towards the driver's side, too. It also helps with clearance for the headers.

Once I finish the firewall paint, get the front wheels & brakes on and plumbed I can set that motor up in there. In between coats of primer and topcoat I'll get back to finishing the porting on the blower.

Jim

JAWSS

Apprentice
Sep 23, 2009
Ft.Hood, Texas

Man that sucks the ballpoint issues still are happening with that setup. I remember years ago when Doug had that issue. At least now you have a solution to that for now.

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero

This is not the first time I have red about the ball joint issue either. Sucks you had to grind off the powder coat :(

DeltaT

Greasemonkey
Sep 6, 2010

Wrapping up the arduous process of stripping the firewall, including chipping of all the bits of that tar sealant they loved back then.

Almost ready for the final wipedown here (didn't worry about bits covered by the heatshield or wiper motor):

dsc03154-jpg.220562

In first coat (of 2) of dark grey primer:

dsc03156-jpg.220563

After 3 coats of satin black enamel:

dsc03159-jpg.220564

I removed the masking tape after the final coat flashed and did a quick, careful shot of the edges on each hole, mostly for corrosion protection as they will be filled or covered by cables, master cylinder, etc. I'll post a final pic tomorrow. The paint also get less glossy after about 8 hours, more like the frame.

Thanks for the comments and PMs.

Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor