Olds 307 emissions crap removal

Status
Not open for further replies.

86 maroon gp 2+2

Master Mechanic
Nov 12, 2010
Oxford, MI
question is will I get more performance and less fuel millage? I want to take mine off because it would clean the engine bay pretty good and it screwed up the paint on one of my valve covers when I tryed to put it in so I had to repaint it. another thing that I would like to add will the engine light come on if I take this stuff off?

Volumeshooter

Greasemonkey
Aug 29, 2011
Memphis TN
Im not sure but I do not believe it has an effect on fuel efficiency or performance at all. Im sure there is someone that has more insight into the pros/cons of removing.

DoubleV

Royal Smart Person
Feb 25, 2011
Medina Ohio
DeltaDevil88 said:
Thanks I did a online search and seems like most come in a hex fitting.......Will those works or is it a round fitting???

A plug is a plug. Doesn't matter what kind of head it has as long as it's 1/4" NPT threading.

Volumeshooter said:
Im not sure but I do not believe it has an effect on fuel efficiency or performance at all. Im sure there is someone that has more insight into the pros/cons of removing.

I think there's a little performance to be gained and here's why; There are tubes protruding into the exhaust ports in the heads. It's reasonable to assume these would pose a restriction to exhaust flow. To remove these tubes, you have to remove all the AIR crap that screws into the heads. Then you jam a thick Philip head screwdriver into each hole and wiggle it a little. Pull out the screwdriver and you should have a small peice of tube on the end of it. These are the little tubes that are protruding into your exhaust ports. This is why just snipping the big steel tubes going to the heads and crimping them shut is not the best idea.

So I see no way removing all of the AIR crap in this manner couldn't improve power, even if just a little.

86 maroon gp 2+2

Master Mechanic
Nov 12, 2010
Oxford, MI
Thanks for the input but does someone have something about the engine light issue?
*edit I unplugged the connector going to the pump and the engine light did not turn on when it was running. Can't wait to take all that crap off this weekend

DoubleV

Royal Smart Person
Feb 25, 2011
Medina Ohio
86 maroon gp 2+2 said:
Thanks for the input but does someone have something about the engine light issue?

You need to check what the code is first.

86 maroon gp 2+2

Master Mechanic
Nov 12, 2010
Oxford, MI
well I did mine but not with expected results. It was going pretty good at first I disconneted the emission lines going to the driver side manifold and plugged them with 1/4 inch brass pipe plugs then when I went to do the passenger side they all snapped off in the manifold :/ I don't know what to do now :blam:

85CutlassSalonRyder

Greasemonkey
Jun 4, 2011
Dallas,Texas
DeltaDevil88 said:
What size plugs do I need after removal??? and where can I purchase them at???

Just cut the plugs off like I did and fill them with JB Weld.

DeltaDevil88

Greasemonkey
May 15, 2011
Dallas,TX
85CutlassSalonRyder said:
DeltaDevil88 said:
What size plugs do I need after removal??? and where can I purchase them at???

Just cut the plugs off like I did and fill them with JB Weld.

I'll stick with the plugs fill with JB seems a lil too ghetto for me lol.

DoubleV

Royal Smart Person
Feb 25, 2011
Medina Ohio
Damn dude you haven't even started on this yet? This shouldn't take more than an hour or so.

Take a look at your engine and you'll see the AIR pump has it's own belt. Just cut it off and you don't need to worry about any of the other belts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor