Olds 307 starter not touching FLyWheel

Status
Not open for further replies.

joe_padavano

Royal Smart Person
Sep 13, 2006
Northern VA
pontiacgp said:
sounds like you have the 168 tooth flexplate so it shouldn't be that hard find a starter to match it...if you get a starter with duel bolt patterns that will work with the 153 or 168 tooth flexplates...

That would be the case if he had a CHEVY motor. :roll:

Olds motors all use the same flexplate EXCEPT the 307s used in the Toronados. For some reason the flexplate is slightly smaller. This may have something to do with the passenger-side starter used on the Toros. If the flexplate has been changed, it may be an incorrect Toro flexplate. The bigger question is, did the old starter fit and work? If so, the flexplate is NOT the problem.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
learn something new every day...."Toronado flywheel from around 1980 on up. They are smaller then the normal RWD 166 tooth 13.9' ones."

but he did say the starter was too close so that's why I was thinking it's the 168 tooth or did the 307 come with some other size?

joe_padavano

Royal Smart Person
Sep 13, 2006
Northern VA
pontiacgp said:
learn something new every day...."Toronado flywheel from around 1980 on up. They are smaller then the normal RWD 166 tooth 13.9' ones."

but he did say the starter was too close so that's why I was thinking it's the 168 tooth or did the 307 come with some other size?

Again, 153 and 168 are Chevy ring gears and have nothing to do with Olds motors. Except for the 1980s Toro flexplates ever single Olds ring gear from 1964-1990 is 166 teeth.

joe_padavano

Royal Smart Person
Sep 13, 2006
Northern VA
pontiacgp said:
ok so what size ring gear did the 307 come with?

From the post directly above yours:

joe_padavano said:
Except for the 1980s Toro flexplates ever single Olds ring gear from 1964-1990 is 166 teeth.

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
Is it true that if the engine and starter didnt come with shims from the factory then it shouldnt need shims later? I was taught this I cant remember where from though.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
-83MONTESS- said:
Is it true that if the engine and starter didnt come with shims from the factory then it shouldnt need shims later? I was taught this I cant remember where from though.

your right about that..starters are all the same, it's the block that may be different and the same shims are used for each starter

Black Sheep

Master Mechanic
Sep 24, 2010
Waynesville, Ohio
Due to manufacturing clearance "stack-up" shims may or may not be needed. Whenever a starter is changed, you should always measure the clearance of the starter drive and the flexplate. Just because the original starter didn't have shims doesn't mean that a new starter won't need them.

442Jayp

Master Mechanic
Nov 11, 2010
Car is coming along real good still having minor problems..alternator is no good and I took the double fans out so m lOoking for a stock clutch and fan..new alternator comin soon thanks to ELCO WARREN...also there is a gm-ford run going down April 16th in Los Angeles and I should be there hopefully I see some of you guys there too

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor