Olds ticket to 9s... LS swap adventure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northernregal

Sloppy McRodbender
Oct 24, 2017
Red Deer, Northern Montana territory
Well... Finally back in the real world, despite being semi-unable to handle the weather here I came home.

It took a full day at least for everything in the garage to warm back up. Which was ok because I needed to gorge myself on chinese food and order stuff, you know, after surviving on third world beans and rice for 65 days. Anyway, more about the orders later when they show up.

Got out today for a couple hours between phone calls and fun remote work stuff. Mostly did clean up and getting myself back into the grove of whats going on.

Got my rear down bars final fit in and ready to weld out.
20210218_162618.jpg 20210218_162642.jpg

Gonna do a bit of practice welding tomorrow then get these welded out. Still have door bars but I can paint the top side of the cage once these are done and bolt the body back down. Things should speed up once the body is bolted back down.

Good first day back.

Reactions: 11 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Well... Finally back in the real world, despite being semi-unable to handle the weather here I came home.

It took a full day at least for everything in the garage to warm back up. Which was ok because I needed to gorge myself on chinese food and order stuff, you know, after surviving on third world beans and rice for 65 days. Anyway, more about the orders later when they show up.

Got out today for a couple hours between phone calls and fun remote work stuff. Mostly did clean up and getting myself back into the grove of whats going on.

View attachment 168898 View attachment 168899

Gonna do a bit of practice welding tomorrow then get these welded out. Still have door bars but I can paint the top side of the cage once these are done and bolt the body back down. Things should speed up once the body is bolted back down.

Good first day back.
Welcome home!

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan

View attachment 168898 View attachment 168899

Good first day back.

Beans and Chy-nah eats, eh?

toilet GIF

Nothing like sitting on your own throne.

• Haha
Reactions: 8 users

Northernregal

Sloppy McRodbender
Oct 24, 2017
Welcome home!
Thanks man, Excited to create some more entertainment and "How not to's" for everyone. ;)
Beans and Chy-nah eats, eh?

toilet GIF

Nothing like sitting on your own throne.
3 weeks... Then things get normal.... Its kinda like a hazing or chemical warfare and builds tons of character.

Reactions: 4 users

Northernregal

Sloppy McRodbender
Oct 24, 2017
As I was completely distracted with BBQ yesterday, and some worky type stuff. We continue today.

My day started here. I spent a couple of hours listing things, ordering the last few things, and starting the process of mapping out where the wires are going to go, then adjusting the tune, moving pinouts, building inputs and outputs and creating diagrams. This portion is getting pretty serious, and should suck extra hard when the time comes to do it.

20210220_122026.jpg

Then I went out and played contortionist welder. The rear down bars are tacked together on top and welded out on the bottoms. Tommorow I can finish the top welds of the bars and move onto painting and bolting back together. I am excited, although I need the dash bar to get 2 bends in it and the door bars to each get one to fit around the door armrests its closer to finished.

20210220_174046.jpg

Reactions: 8 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
It looks as if you're adding bulkhead connectors? If yes, then what did you purchase?

Reactions: 1 user

Northernregal

Sloppy McRodbender
Oct 24, 2017
It looks as if you're adding bulkhead connectors? If yes, then what did you purchase?
Maven performance 35/29 pin dual connector setup for the main engine harness firewall pass through. I didn't love the generic Holley harness that came with the HP so I have an unterminated main harness coming as well.

Reactions: 5 users

Northernregal

Sloppy McRodbender
Oct 24, 2017
Cage frame welding complete.

Not sure why people always need to call, text or knock on the door when you get yourself wrapped around tubing in what was the back seat of the car.... Anywho, tig welding the tops of the downpipes sucked a LOT, its not instagram worthy but I probably wont die if it ends up on the roof and 120mph. Probably...

These were the 2 worst spots, outside top edges (completely out of position, arms length welds, so much suck), pictures taken through the quarter windows. I will probably kick butt at tig welding on a comfortable bench now. :ROFLMAO:

20210221_163456.jpg 20210221_163547.jpg

This week I will grab some rattle cans of primer and paint, then the body goes back together, and I look forward to showing off my sexy body mounts...

Reactions: 10 users

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
Cage frame welding complete.

Not sure why people always need to call, text or knock on the door when you get yourself wrapped around tubing in what was the back seat of the car.... Anywho, tig welding the tops of the downpipes sucked a LOT, its not instagram worthy but I probably wont die if it ends up on the roof and 120mph. Probably...

These were the 2 worst spots, outside top edges (completely out of position, arms length welds, so much suck), pictures taken through the quarter windows. I will probably kick butt at tig welding on a comfortable bench now. :ROFLMAO:

View attachment 169026 View attachment 169027

This week I will grab some rattle cans of primer and paint, then the body goes back together, and I look forward to showing off my sexy body mounts...

Not too bad. But, let me know if you need my help...

bird shit GIF by leeamerica

• Haha
  • Winner
  • Creative
Reactions: 7 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor